What is the penalty for riding without M1 license in California?

Sorry Tyler- the law applies to “motor scooters” Generally the motorized bikes discussed in this forum fall under the “moped” laws. To drive a “Moped” laws still require an M1 (or m2) endorsement.

Sorry Tyler- the law applies to “motor scooters” Generally the motorized bikes discussed in this forum fall under the “moped” laws. To drive a “Moped” laws still require an M1 (or m2) endorsement.
Wow, I think you are right. I don't know, I've given up on trying to get a moped license. They won't let me take the driving test on my motorized bicycle, which is registered as a moped! When I tell them this they say "you don't need a license to drive that!". I don't have a motorcycle to take the test with to get an M1 license, and when I rented one to take the test they wouldn't let me do that either, I had to prove the bike was registered to me and that I had insurance. So how the hell do I get an M2? I've pretty much had it with the damn law!

JUST RIDE! Don't worry!
That's pretty much it, I've decided to just forget it and ride. If I ever get a ticket I will hire a lawyer and show up in court and prove to them that the DMV wouldn't let me get a license and that I tried. That I was told I don't need a license to drive my moped. It kinda sucks but what can I do? What if somebody runs into me? Will I be a fault because I don't have an M2? I am beyond frustrated. I actually took the written test and showed up with a motorcycle to take the test and they wouldn't let me f***ing take it because I rented the bike off craigs list and had no insurance. Now how the f*** do you get insurance without a f***ing license? Seriously, I'm considering hiring an attorney to figure this out for me.

Last edited:
That's pretty much it, I've decided to just forget it and ride. If I ever get a ticket I will hire a lawyer and show up in court and prove to them that the DMV wouldn't let me get a license and that I tried. That I was told I don't need a license to drive my moped. It kinda sucks but what can I do? What if somebody runs into me? Will I be a fault because I don't have an M2? I am beyond frustrated. I actually took the written test and showed up with a motorcycle to take the test and they wouldn't let me f***ing take it because I rented the bike off craigs list and had no insurance. Now how the f*** do you get insurance without a f***ing license? Seriously, I'm considering hiring an attorney to figure this out for me.
Do you have a buddy/family member who has a motorcycle? If so just ask him to register the bike in your name, buy the cheapest insurance you can find for it (you don't need a licence to insure a bike, just a valid state id) and you will give it back when you compete the test. And pay him like 150$ with a 12 pack because thats a lot a trust right there.

Do you have a buddy/family member who has a motorcycle? If so just ask him to register the bike in your name, buy the cheapest insurance you can find for it (you don't need a licence to insure a bike, just a valid state id) and you will give it back when you compete the test. And pay him like 150$ with a 12 pack because thats a lot a trust right there.
Yeah, well, I figured I could rent a motorcycle and take the driving test and get the M1, but when I called up shops nobody would rent a motorcycle to me unless I had a license, so I started checking craigslist but most of the people renting motorcycles also required a license, so I got my brother to rent one for me because he has a license but he doesn't have a bike anymore. He rented it from the guy on craigslist and then gave it to me to take the test. I practiced riding it around, I had a permit because to took the written test, I spent several hours practicing the test. Then I went in to take it and that's when they woman told me that I needed registration and insurance. So, I was kinda pissed off and finally decided to screw it. I'm still unclear on how you actually get a moped license M2 if they won't let you take the driving test on a moped. I mean, is it just my home built moped? Will they let you take the test on a store bought moped? What is the f***ing difference??

Yeah, well, I figured I could rent a motorcycle and take the driving test and get the M1, but when I called up shops nobody would rent a motorcycle to me unless I had a license, so I started checking craigslist but most of the people renting motorcycles also required a license, so I got my brother to rent one for me because he has a license but he doesn't have a bike anymore. He rented it from the guy on craigslist and then gave it to me to take the test. I practiced riding it around, I had a permit because to took the written test, I spent several hours practicing the test. Then I went in to take it and that's when they woman told me that I needed registration and insurance. So, I was kinda pissed off and finally decided to screw it. I'm still unclear on how you actually get a moped license M2 if they won't let you take the driving test on a moped. I mean, is it just my home built moped? Will they let you take the test on a store bought moped? What is the f***ing difference??
Yea, i was thinking since you could "borrow" a bike bit it would be in your name (as such you could insure it) and then they would let you do the test and pass (hopefully) then get your paperwork and license bs and BAM theres your lisence. Then just sign the bike over back to the person you got it from (be sure to say its a gift so you dont pay tranfer tax) and there you go. Your all done

That or go and buy some pos bike with a title for 400$ and get it running good enough for the test. Then just sell it as fast as you can afterward

Yea, i was thinking since you could "borrow" a bike bit it would be in your name (as such you could insure it) and then they would let you do the test and pass (hopefully) then get your paperwork and license bs and BAM theres your lisence. Then just sign the bike over back to the person you got it from (be sure to say its a gift so you dont pay tranfer tax) and there you go. Your all done

That or go and buy some pos bike with a title for 400$ and get it running good enough for the test. Then just sell it as fast as you can afterward
Ha! yeah, maybe that is the only way, buy a f***ing motorcycle and register it and insure it, all just to take the test and then sell it. But then I think to myself, the cost/benefit analysis, is it really worth it? I've been riding for 9 years with no license and for the first 5 years I didn't even have the license plate and not once have I been stopped by a cop, and I have driven right by in front of them and they always look at me.

Back