What is the penalty for riding without M1 license in California?

Alright, check out this page of the CA DMV. They list "motorized bicycle" and a "moped" requiring a M2. Like they distinguish between the 2 vehicles putting them in the same class. The question is, why can't I take the test on my motorized bicycle? Can you take it on a moped and not a motorized bicycle? Is that how it works??
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/dl655/mcycle_htm/requirements

Well, there is another option for me, there is a school that teaches people how to ride motorcycles and helps them get a license, it's like $300 but I could probably get one that way, but my attitude about paying $300 causes me to want to hurl, yea, I've got an attitude problem, :)
Even though paying to go to a class is distasteful don't ride it off. You'll find out stuff through them that you never thought could happen.

Seems we all agree that CA sucks, and the laws regarding “motorized bicycles” are ambiguous. I have searched excessively and obsessively and have not been able to find a clear answer distinguishing M1 and M2 endorsements or how to get the lesser endorsement. However there is something I do know...

You mention in post #27 going to a “school” and they “help you” get the license. This is only partially correct, but in a very good way. After completing the “school” you take your certification to the DMV and they waive the skills test! Wham Bam- done.

Yes it’s $300 (okay $295) 5hours class time and 10hours hands on training. All done in one weekend. The school provides the bikes. A buddy of mine did it at the Harley dealership- so she spent the weekend riding a Harley around a big parking lot. Seems a fun weekend to me.

And California still sucks

Edit- the price near me is actually $350 if you are 21 or older and $295 if you are under 21 (and it’s required) also, like everything else, you won’t be able to take the class until after the Covid19 panic is over.

Last edited:
Seems we all agree that CA sucks, and the laws regarding “motorized bicycles” are ambiguous. I have searched excessively and obsessively and have not been able to find a clear answer distinguishing M1 and M2 endorsements or how to get the lesser endorsement. However there is something I do know...

You mention in post #27 going to a “school” and they “help you” get the license. This is only partially correct, but in a very good way. After completing the “school” you take your certification to the DMV and they waive the skills test! Wham Bam- done.

Yes it’s $300 (okay $295) 5hours class time and 10hours hands on training. All done in one weekend. The school provides the bikes. A buddy of mine did it at the Harley dealership- so she spent the weekend riding a Harley around a big parking lot. Seems a fun weekend to me.

And California still sucks

Edit- the price near me is actually $350 if you are 21 or older and $295 if you are under 21 (and it’s required) also, like everything else, you won’t be able to take the class until after the Covid19 panic is over.
Okay, thank you for explaining the school. I will think about it some more. However, for $350 I might be able to get a junker motorcycle to take the test on, at least then I would have something for my money when it's all said and done.

Lil tidbit for those wondering about scooter/moped M2 license... Effective January 1, 2020, individuals are no longer required to hold a Class M2 driver license to operate a motorized scooter. A person who holds a valid driver license of any class may operate a motorized scooter.
What states?

What states?
I thought that would be obvious since this thread. is after all, referring to licensing laws in California...lol...DAMIEN

M1 and M2 designations for licenses are California license designations.

I do have an M1 endorsement on my class C license, but I didn't know that I needed special registration and plates 😧
Yea, it's real easy to get a Moped Plate just mail in Form#230.
I got a Moped Plate and I don't even mount it on my bike. I keep it in my saddle bags. :LOL: See posts #13 and #20 in this link 👇
Post #7 will have a link for Form #230

Back