What is the penalty for riding without M1 license in California?

outatime88

Local time
3:37 PM
First of all I want to make it clear I'm not trying to tell anyone to disobey the law. I've been getting a motorcycle permit almost every year for the past few years, but I keep letting them expire because I'm too lazy to take the motorcycle training course and actually get the license.

I really don't feel like going to the DMV to get another permit right now, so what exactly would be the penalties if I were riding and got pulled over for having everything(plate, helmet, etc.), except a M1 license?

Would they just give me a ticket, or would it be a misdemeanor? Would they somehow impound my bicycle?

If you have a plate, helmet and obey all traffic laws there is 0 reason for you to get pulled over in the first place. Not sure on penalties, haven't had a ticket for it yet.

First of all I want to make it clear I'm not trying to tell anyone to disobey the law. I've been getting a motorcycle permit almost every year for the past few years, but I keep letting them expire because I'm too lazy to take the motorcycle training course and actually get the license.

I really don't feel like going to the DMV to get another permit right now, so what exactly would be the penalties if I were riding and got pulled over for having everything(plate, helmet, etc.), except a M1 license?

Would they just give me a ticket, or would it be a misdemeanor? Would they somehow impound my bicycle?
it all depends on the cop really, if you were to get pulled over most likely it will be a warning,
but if that cop is REALLY pissed off that day, he can impound your bike, fine you up to 1000$, and charge you with a misdemeanor (which could lead to jail time too, but thats unlikely)

personally, id just get the damn license, spend the 2 weeks or whatever it is and keep renewing it for however long you can (you dont need to take a class after you get it anyway you just renew it for like 12$)

it all depends on the cop really, if you were to get pulled over most likely it will be a warning,
but if that cop is REALLY pissed off that day, he can impound your bike, fine you up to 1000$, and charge you with a misdemeanor (which could lead to jail time too, but thats unlikely)

personally, id just get the damn license, spend the 2 weeks or whatever it is and keep renewing it for however long you can (you dont need to take a class after you get it anyway you just renew it for like 12$)

Hmm well knowing my luck I'd probably run into the pissed off cop...I guess I really should just bite the bullet and pay for the classes.

If you have a plate, helmet and obey all traffic laws there is 0 reason for you to get pulled over in the first place. Not sure on penalties, haven't had a ticket for it yet.

Honestly the only reason I feel like I'm going to get pulled over is because I run the zeda 88 pipe open and it's loud as hell.

I'm with you, took the written test but don't have a motorcycle to take the skills test. I tried to rent a motorcycle off of Craigslist on the day of my test but when I showed up to take the test the DMV told me I couldn't take the test without (1) registration of the bike and (2) insurance on the bike. The only bikes I own are motorized bicycles and I can't take the test on a motorized bicycle,not even just to get an M2 (moped) license. I'm still not sure how you get an M2 license but I have given up.

Lil tidbit for those wondering about scooter/moped M2 license... Effective January 1, 2020, individuals are no longer required to hold a Class M2 driver license to operate a motorized scooter. A person who holds a valid driver license of any class may operate a motorized scooter.

Lil tidbit for those wondering about scooter/moped M2 license... Effective January 1, 2020, individuals are no longer required to hold a Class M2 driver license to operate a motorized scooter. A person who holds a valid driver license of any class may operate a motorized scooter.
Sweet!!! Good News, now, how can I get insurance?

Do you have a link to where this is shown?

Back