What is the weight limit on a 4 stroke?

BSmith95

Local time
2:44 AM
Hi, I recently put one of the Huasheng 50cc 4 stroke engines on my old Roadmaster bike, and I was wondering... what exactly is the weight limit rating on this kit?

I weigh 185lbs, and I'm thinking about adding a rear seat so I can have a passenger. I've already ordered an upgraded clutch, but I don't want to risk getting another seat if the engine can't handle it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20240527_162334720_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240527_162334720_HDR.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 23
Hi, I recently put one of the Huasheng 50cc 4 stroke engines on my old Roadmaster bike, and I was wondering... what exactly is the weight limit rating on this kit?

I weigh 185lbs, and I'm thinking about adding a rear seat so I can have a passenger. I've already ordered an upgraded clutch, but I don't want to risk getting another seat if the engine can't handle it.

Thanks!

The bike itself was NEVER designed with an extra passenger in mind...It will never take all that extra weight...lol...Neither will these motors.

As a retired police lieutenant from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, (I'm also a retired ASE cerified master mechanic and retired motor vehicle state inspector), now retired in New Mexico, which is a state that calls our motorised bikes to be just bicycles with only bicycle laws governing them, I will warn you that ANY cop in ANY state that sees that with an extra seat for a passenger welded in WILL stop you.

If it were me doing the stopping I would also confiscate the bike until after your court hearing for "endangering yourself and others with misfeasence and malfeasence customisation of a motor vehicle and usage thereof on a public highway or byway contrary to what is written into the Motor Vehicle Statutes as found in the Annotated Laws of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts."

That would be just for starters...lol...I'm betting that cops in other states living in the current era might be even more inventive than I and come up with even more reasons to drag it off the road and drag your butt to court...Word to the wise...DON'T DO IT !!!...lol.

Thanks!
It isn't necessarily the engine you have to worry about but rather the bicycle frame. In the majority of the states in the USA its illegal to ride 2 people on a bicycle designed for 1 person. The exception to this is if the passenger is a toddler in an approved toddler bicycle carrying devise/harness.

If you wish to carry a passenger then you need to either do a tandem build or use a pull behind trailer. All that being said you'll also need to build a shifter bike.

I live in the mountains of Tennessee, I weigh 250 lbs, my bike weighs 100 lbs, and my trailer can hold up to 200 lbs. I've pulled up to 550 lbs up 30% grade hills at 8 mph while using a 33cc 4 stroke engine. My bike has the widest reduction range of any bike in any of the forums histories: 66.79\1 ~ 16.25\1.

So unless you're willing to get a trailer and/or tandem bike and/or build a shifter bike I'd abandon the idea of riding a passenger.

Tootin ya horn again there, you should be ashamed. How many kids did you arrest riding on the handlebars, or on the back of a banana seat? If you did you're a meanie, plain and simple?
Two kids on a pedal only bicycle isn't the same thing as two adults on a motorized bicycle. Let's not encourage people to do stuff in a dangerous manner just because they did something similar as a child.

Two kids on a pedal only bicycle isn't the same thing as two adults on a motorized bicycle. Let's not encourage people to do something in a dangerous manner just because they did something similar as a child.
I reread the post don't see adults anywhere mentioned. You might have a point there. 1st thing that popped up in my head was kids, I've done it. Never seen 2 adults doing that on a bicycle, in my defense.

I reread the post don't see adults anywhere mentioned. You might have a point there.
Generally a 185 lbs is getting around the weight of an adult. Most states in the USA require the operator of a motorized bicycle/moped to be at least 16. There are a very few places in the USA which will allow 14,15 year olds with special permits and restrictions to operate them

In general on a search it seems most bikes are designed with a 300lb weight limit. I'm at that or a lil over with my weight and kit on my bike.

I recommend a 56t sprocket for that engine just to pull 1 person!
Even if the OP has a 5\1 reduction transmission using a 56t rear sprocket will only give you a 28\1 reduction. Which may be fine until you have to climb a moderate grade hill. Then the passenger will have to get off of the bike and walk up the hill.

I'm not saying it cant be done, just that it wont be easy or cheap. You would need a rack that could bear a person's weight, much better brakes, stronger wheels. And You're going to have to pedal, and use a very high gear reduction on the engine side and the human side.

With the price of these kits and the state of the used bike market it would make more sense just to build another bike for your buddy or girlfriend or what ever that wants to ride 2 up.

Back