What is this? And what do I do with it?

D

del

On the way home from a trip to the grocery store in a neighboring suburb, I saw this bike stacked up along with the rest of the trash ready for the next day's garbage pickup. Needless to say, it became mine... (Attached is a not-so-great pic.)

Now the questions:

I haven't found the time to do a detailed examination of the bike, let alone an exhaustive internet search. All I know is that it's a Schwinn Classic Cruiser with a springer front fork. But I have no idea when it was made. Any help?

And I'm not sure what to do with it. Sell it? Restore it? Electrify it? Put on a 49cc 4-stroke engine? Any opinions??

Just when I think I have too many projects,
another one follows me home...

--del
'07 Whizzer Motored Biker

Attachments

• pic0.jpg
    pic0.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 262
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info, JE,

Any way you know of for me to verify the date? Like where to find a serial number?

--del

just a guess here -- being honest with you
you might wish to check -- make sure bicycle isn't stolen
you stated that it was in with the trash

that is a pretty nice looking bicycle

when thiefs at times are tired of riding stolen bicycles
they just dump them -- where ever

just something that you may wish to check on

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Sweet find.
I agree about checking to see if it's stolen. It may keep you out of trouble and it may just make somebody extremely happy to see their baby come back home.

More info, but the fiinal question remains.

Thanks for the caveats, folks,

But I very much doubt that the bike was stolen. I found it on the street the evening before garbage pickup day. The rest of the stuff in the pile looked like the results of garage cleaning. And the suburb where I found it is quite affluent. Plus, the amount of grime and surface rust make it look like it hasn't been anyone's beloved toy for quite a while.

A bit of internet research, and closer examination of the bike have revealed that it was fabricated in Taiwan and assembled in 1994. So, it seems that it is no where near old enough to be worth selling or restoring. And opens the door to some severe hackage without fear of ruining a nice old bicycle.

But what to do...??? I'm leaning toward an electric hub motor on the front. But the entry fee into electric-land seems kinda steep. I kinda like those little 4-stroke 49cc engines, but folks making the hot setup gear boxes and so on, seem to have more demand than supply. Or, I could turn it into a "real" project and start home-brewing parts....

Any suggestions?

Have tools
Will turn innocent metal into scrap

--del

Go with an outrunner electric front wheel rack mount chain drive. Motors are cheap, and putting a really big sprocket on the wheel isn't a big deal.

Howdy SS,
Can you aim me at a source for parts or examples of "outrunner" electrics?

--del

Back