What is this little spring-loaded button on the carb?

Gasenginesarecool

Local time
10:29 AM
Hello forum! I just made an account on here so that I could ask this question...

I just bought this used motorized bicycle and I'm really excited to get it running and working. I have a big gas-guzzling V8 truck that gets 15mpg and this bike will save me a ton of gas. Plus I love small 2-stroke engines and I love motorcycles in general.

I took some pictures so people could tell me about the carburetor on this thing. I don't know the name or brand, there wasn't a model number or a name or anything, just some Chinese characters. It leaks gas. It seems to be leaking right from this little spring-loaded button or shaft thing. I drew an arrow so you know which thing I'm talking about. It drips gas fairly quickly, like one drip every 10 seconds or so, as soon as I open the petcock on the bottom of the gas tank.

Think it needs a new gasket? If so I have no problem taking the carb apart and replacing the gasket, or cutting a new gasket to use. I've worked on small engines and various gas engines quite a bit before so I kinda know what I'm doing already I just need a little guidance from someone familiar with this type of tiny carburetor.

Thanks!

P.S. Also, does anyone know where I can get a new idler pulley for the chain back there? This one's a big worn out. It's not toothed, it's kind of a plain, white nylon pulley, and I just need the pulley not the whole bracket.

Attachments

• 20191023_180815.jpg
    20191023_180815.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 678
  • 20191023_184115.jpg
    20191023_184115.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 575
  • 20191023_180717.jpg
    20191023_180717.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 667
Put your carb on upright and all will be fine.
The tickle button is supposed to be above the float (so that it can push the float down) so fuel pouring out of there never going to be an issue when the carb is upright.
The tickle button exists as a means to defeat the float and allow extra fuel to flood the carb, as an aid to cold starting.

Oh yeah the carb is almost laying on it's side!!! LOL oh jeese I'll go home and test it out properly upright, and see what happens. Thank you.

It's a primer button for cold starts.
I'm not very impress with TN carbs soon as weather gets cool you got to prime it or choke it and choke lever only sits out on mine just f***ing 1/4" impossible to turn off with heavy winter gloves and an extreme hazard to turn it off while moving it's intended for series wreck.
Got another pro carb I got to put on if I get out of my lazy mood has about a 3 to 4" lever on it on the left side but carb is so good in cold weather I don't really need to choke it, just flood it a couple minutes before I ride it or adjust the screw to wear viberations will drop the lever automatically!

Skateboard wheels work great, are high quality, better bearings, can get them in many colors, and they make your chain run quietly.

Thanks I looked into that, and apparently skateboard wheels super durable and with a high quality wheel and bearing it could last 10,000 miles! Yeah I'll definitely be doing that. I read though the steps on how to turn a skateboard wheel into a pulley and it's totally doable. Thanks for the tip.

It's a primer button for cold starts.
I'm not very impress with TN carbs soon as weather gets cool you got to prime it or choke it and choke lever only sits out on mine just f***ing 1/4" impossible to turn off with heavy winter gloves and an extreme hazard to turn it off while moving it's intended for series wreck.
Got another pro carb I got to put on if I get out of my lazy mood has about a 3 to 4" lever on it on the left side but carb is so good in cold weather I don't really need to choke it, just flood it a couple minutes before I ride it or adjust the screw to wear viberations will drop the lever automatically!

Yeah this carb does have a really cheap-ass choke lever. I had to tighten this little nut in there so that there's not this huge amount of free play at the choke lever. I hate free play in anything. Let me know how you like that other carburetor you got. Maybe I'll replace this chintzy TN one some day.

Put your carb on upright and all will be fine.
The tickle button is supposed to be above the float (so that it can push the float down) so fuel pouring out of there never going to be an issue when the carb is upright.
The tickle button exists as a means to defeat the float and allow extra fuel to flood the carb, as an aid to cold starting.

Yep, that was it of course, I rotated the carb to level, and now it does't leak at all. Thanks. I have another question though about this float tickler: how long do you keep it pressed when you're trying to prime the carb with fuel? And would you press this while you kick the engine over, to create good vacuum to draw in lots of fuel, or just hold down the tickle button (lol) with everything stationary?

Oh I don't think it is good for you to play with your tickle button any more than is actually necessary in the situation. 😬🤭
It's up to you how you do it. Hold down the tickle button longer and longer until you find its point of ignition; or just give it a certain length you know will get her going, from your previous experience of your own individual China Girl. 😀
You can use sprays that enhance the combustibility, "giver a tickle", or use high speed and put some effort in until she goes. It's only the results that matter. 😁

😧

Oh I don't think it is good for you to play with your tickle button any more than is actually necessary in the situation. 😬🤭
It's up to you how you do it. Hold down the tickle button longer and longer until you find its point of ignition; or just give it a certain length you know will get her going, from your previous experience of your own individual China Girl. 😀
You can use sprays that enhance the combustibility, "giver a tickle", or use high speed and put some effort in until she goes. It's only the results that matter. 😁

ou can use sprays that enhance the combustibility, "giver a tickle", or use high speed and put some effort in until she goes. It's only the results that matter. 😁
😧

Ah, I see, thank you for the tickle tips. That should get her going all right ;)

Back