what is this???

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by eltatertoto, Jan 21, 2008.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. eltatertoto

    eltatertoto Guest

    on my bike at my grandmas instead of a back shifter there it this thing with an arm on it called the "bike o matic" it was owned by a person that drove on 30 degree slopes in minnisota dont know if that means anything, i will post pics next time im there, within the next week or so but i just remembered it and i havent a clue what it is its been annoying me lol

  2. gone_fishin

    gone_fishin Guest

    moved from the technical manual as off-topic...but i think i've seen something like it...i'll look around later.
  3. eltatertoto

    eltatertoto Guest

    i cant find anything even close to it in the net, i think it might havesomthing to do with mabey a auto shifter? all i know is this thing has a cable coming from it and going to the stock deraileur (IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY) i might be able to get a ride there to take pics tommro its on a real old stock schwinn that has a stock sticker that says "remember to fasten seat belt" lol i had to spray it in places though cause it was rusting so now it loooks like a black n yellow leopard lol
  4. eltatertoto

    eltatertoto Guest

    hey guys, i got to go take pics today, corry if they're dark, it was dark outside and i only had 1 flourecent light i think they came out decent though, keep in mind, my cam has no flash cause i have a kick azz vid cam but i just talk stills with it so -----no flash there is 2 dupes i think cause i like to take 2 pice if i think i moved a bit, so sorry if there is, in 20 min the vid of it should be up on my signature address, thanks again for the help if it does somthing of use i might put it on my other buke (less crapy one)

    hey the vid is up now











    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2008
  5. eltatertoto

    eltatertoto Guest

    any ideas? its kinda hard either riding in 10th gear or 5th lol
  6. Dockspa1

    Dockspa1 Guest

    Looks like one of the original lift and shifts for the double sprocket crank drive. Like your High and Low.
    Could be wrong!
  7. eltatertoto

    eltatertoto Guest

    yea but the bars still have the TWO shifter fins and only 1 is hooked up (to the front gear) so i would think that the bike o matic was an after thought., but mainly i would just like to know how it works lol
  8. eltatertoto

    eltatertoto Guest

    do u step on it or somthin?
  9. Dockspa1

    Dockspa1 Guest

    Here you go Tater,
    By the way, the administration and moderators would like you to zero in your words on your titles to pertinent to the thread. Like you should have put the words Bike O Matic in the title so if someone does a search for it later, it will come up on your thread. get it?
    Anyway, this is your Bike-O-Matic;

    The simplest appears to be a one-pound mechanical device that can be attached to most multi-speed bikes. Biko-O-Matic, a company based in Eagleville, Pa., developed an automatic gear shifter that uses a rear derailleur. The bike's shifting cable is connected to a cam arm in the transmmission. When a bicyclist pedals harder, the added chain tension forces the arm to shift through the rear gears. A hydraulic valve eases the transitions.

    The devices are manufactured by the Hardware & Industrial Tool Company of Delanco, N.J. The product was invented by Gilmore Chappell, a mechanical engineer from Philadelphia who was inspired by bicycles in the Netherlands, where he used to live.

    Bike-O-Matic prices tend to vary from $39 to $55 in sporting goods stores. The unit has a five-year warranty; the company says it can be installed within ''minutes. '' For information, call (800) 327-6010.

  10. ocscully

    ocscully Member

    My best guess based on the poor quality images you have provided so far is that it is an auto shifter system for the rear shifter that is supposed to sense the amount of tension on the chain and when it reaches a certain point it causes the shifter to move. This tension is probably somewhat adjustable using the cap or barrel you showed in the video. Next time turn on the headlights of the car in the garage or just get a white card and bounce the overhead lights into what you are trying to illustrate and the images will be dramatically improved. I'm only guessing here but I think that there is a short cable that connects the barrel with the groves to the rear deraillier. As the chain tension increases the barrel slides in the grooves and pulls on the cable to shift the deraillier as the chain tension decreases the barrel slides back and the deraillier shifts back. With better images it might become much clearer?

  11. eltatertoto

    eltatertoto Guest

    ok thanks to all, my grandpa was sleepin i have a key to his garage but not to his car but the thing is, it might have shifted at one point but i cant remember it doing it, im think of how to make a fixed camera attachment to show a vid, and hopefully ill be going during daylight lol but i found that same article but thats all i found here are the links to what i found


  12. chuck1980

    chuck1980 Member

    Sounds like an old friction roller type unit sold by Sears in the 60s or 70s. I personally would not have posted the question until I could post the pics too.
  13. eltatertoto

    eltatertoto Guest

    i posted the pics the next day, but i was trying to save gas lol