What is too much compression?

I had just finished a customer rebuild today and I checked the compression just out of curiosity and box stock just cleaned up the transfer ramps and flash and it read 160 psi so I don't see how 130 psi is to much! And it's operating temp after 20 min run time was 285 f between the head and jug above exhaust port witch is where the hottest readings are usually found!
I just did a carb clean out today on a bike I built two years ago. To some of you this might seem hard to believe, But I was even dumber about these engines then than now. All of my builds were then getting .030 removed form the top of cylinder. Once I realized the slant plug heads have the least volume of them all I restricted this practice to the after market performance heads.
At any rate the bike has been running fot 2 years with 155 psi.

I just did a carb clean out today on a bike I built two years ago. To some of you this might seem hard to believe, But I was even dumber about these engines then than now. All of my builds were then getting .030 removed form the top of cylinder. Once I realized the slant plug heads have the least volume of them all I restricted this practice to the after market performance heads.
At any rate the bike has been running fot 2 years with 155 psi.
You managed to get 2 years no engine problems? What are you using Japanese magic motor with pixie dust infused bearings and boiled leprechaun juice for oil?

I'm not saying no problems, but it is the same cylinder and piston. I also know it's odd because most are needing a top end well before then. Now to top it off the guy has to be pushing 250, and takes terrible care of the bike. I also prefer my leprechaun juice fresh squozen and strained, but never boiled. Please Sir have a heart after all their just wee little people, not linseeds.

I'm not saying no problems, but it is the same cylinder and piston. I also know it's odd because most are needing a top end well before then. Now to top it off the guy has to be pushing 250, and takes terrible care of the bike. I also prefer my leprechaun juice fresh squozen and strained, but never boiled. Please Sir have a heart after all their just wee little people, not linseeds.
Boiled brings out the TRUE essence of the leprechaun, it's like soup bones only these bones are gold plated. If you boil your leprechaun until it liquefies and the gold plating transfers to the inside of your magic rainbow pot you will have the ultimate leprechaun juice. You can refine this through reverse osmosis or simmer on low heat until most of the water disappears.

Boiled brings out the TRUE essence of the leprechaun, it's like soup bones only these bones are gold plated. If you boil your leprechaun until it liquefies and the gold plating transfers to the inside of your magic rainbow pot you will have the ultimate leprechaun juice. You can refine this through reverse osmosis or simmer on low heat until most of the water disappears.
Ah the good old days when one was not judged as being manIAcal for simple joys of forcing juiced leprechan through a semi permeable membrane.

Well report back the next time he needs a rebuild, that will tell us if it's too much.
Here's my report to date on this engine mentioned above the customer ran it with a late model bananna pipe,the stock 48t gear out back and the speed carb,Nothing specail and on a steel framed front suspension mountain bike.The update is that the comp dropped maybe 2 p.s.i since then and has been running strong with the top speed achived at 70 kph thats 11000 rpm out of a stock engine and it still all looks fine! Unfortunatly the same cant be said for the bike yesterday while doing 40mph speed runs he hit a dip in the road and the load on the frame sheared the down tube just above the front mount!Lucky for him it didn't cause a fold up or crash but with only the top bar holding it together it was pretty close!

Here's my report to date on this engine mentioned above the customer ran it with a late model bananna pipe,the stock 48t gear out back and the speed carb,Nothing specail and on a steel framed front suspension mountain bike.The update is that the comp dropped maybe 2 p.s.i since then and has been running strong with the top speed achived at 70 kph thats 11000 rpm out of a stock engine and it still all looks fine! Unfortunatly the same cant be said for the bike yesterday while doing 40mph speed runs he hit a dip in the road and the load on the frame sheared the down tube just above the front mount!Lucky for him it didn't cause a fold up or crash but with only the top bar holding it together it was pretty close!
Perhaps the air was colder and denser back in February than it was recently, different air density different compression reading

I have been slowly catchin on to all this comp. stuff. Now I know that a stock eng. with around 135 psi up here is pushing 160ish at near sea level. I gota deck the crap out of a jug to get that. Now I wouldn't trade this little mountain town for a score of comp. lbs. I'm just sayin it aint fair. Them down tubes don't care much for that impact of unintended weight. Especially the cruisers with the frame sweeping forward before rising. It's easier for the tube to reach it's moment with the flatter angle.

Back