What is your favorite 35cc engine?

RS EHO35, so reliable, easy pull start, sounds like a sewing machine at idle, pulls with authority, putt-putt at 20mph all day for next to nothing.
2-stroke, Tanaka PF-4000, aftermarket mods galore, 50:1 mix means almost smokeless, so reliable, high torque, with silencer not much louder than EHO35 at idle, pulls with EXTRA authority, can putt-putt or go too fast (for a bike) on next to nothing.

RS EHO35, so reliable, easy pull start, sounds like a sewing machine at idle, pulls with authority, putt-putt at 20mph all day for next to nothing.
2-stroke, Tanaka PF-4000, aftermarket mods galore, 50:1 mix means almost smokeless, so reliable, high torque, with silencer not much louder than EHO35 at idle, pulls with EXTRA authority, can putt-putt or go too fast (for a bike) on next to nothing.

Going by YouTube clips, the RS EH035 engine noise seems at a lower octave & non-piercing. I like it. I went with the Tanaka PF-4000 mainly because it was somewhat cheaper and was recommended by GEBE for higher speed. Plus, I wasn't repulsed by mixing 2-cycle oil to gas. I replaced the stock muffler with a 3rd party Tanaka 40cc muffler silencer kit. It's basically a filled muffler, some 2-ply silicone tubing and a small chrome silencer. At idle it's a soft putt-putt and when running, the noise isn't too bad at all IMHO. Still a long way till break in. For initial use, I bought some pre-mixed 2-cycle fuel. There has been no smoke at all. Taking it slow, but, a few short bursts and I got up to around 29.2mph (GEBE kit). Seems slow, but, maybe it's the break-in factor, or, cause of that muffler silencer kit, but, I'm not overly concerned with getting high speed. I want to try and be discrete out there.

The EHO35 is a little marvel, you can walk 25 feet away from it and it's hard to tell there is an engine running, there is a noise but it doesn't have an "engine" sound.The Tanaka is just so much more fun, almost no wind or hills can bring you to a crawl as they can with the EHO.

Interesting! I wonder what the Flywheel and clutch surface look like on the Tanaka? I have not mated a drive up to a 2-stroke, but I am believing we can! The little RS EHO35 is a VERY quiet precision engine, but I am aware that some of the Japanese 2-strokes are very well made.

Whats next?

Mike

I've had the Honda and Subaru 35's and Tanaka 32, 40, 47 & 47r.
I prefer the Tanaka 40 most for its power, fuel economy & refinement.
They just need an aftermarket muffler (stock can is too loud and restrictive).
They all share the same clutch/PTO mounting dimensions.
-Low-

Hi Lowracer, Thanks! that would simplify the mounting brackets tremendously! I wonder of the mounting bolts are same diameter and same spacing? I do not intend to use the small onboard clutch.

Mike

Yeah, all these engines share the same bolt pattern.
I've swapped engines with no problems just bolt'em up and hope the throttle cable pull is a match.
If not, I just solder up a new cable.
-Low-

Honda 35 is a great motor and is priced right, my problem is having a Honda 50 along with the 35 the 35 will just sit and not get ridden.

All I have is a new Tanaka PF-4000 GEBE kit and I like it using a lined muffler and chrome silencer combination (connected with silicone tubing). Top speed range so far isn't very impressive- 27 to 29 mph using GPS on mostly flat stretches, but, that could be because of break-in or using the muffler silencer kit. Also, maybe the GEBE mounting needs fine tuning or my mountain bike isn't ideal. Still, it went up a hill at 20mph with ease. That impressed me.

Back