What kind of brakes to get for my bike?

skull7

Local time
12:47 AM
I'm new here and just recently decided to put myself together a motorized bicycle. I've read other threads on this forum saying I need to invest in some front brakes since my bike only has rear coaster brakes. And I was just wondering, what brakes should I get? I'm kinda on a budget as a college student but I wanna be safe at the same time. Does anyone know brakes that would fit my cheap Kent La Jolla 26" I picked up from walmart? Can you put some links to some for sale please? Thanks, much appreciated!

And If you like could you throw some advice for a newbie my way as well? I've heard there's alot of things you can do to help the bike adapt better to having an engine and just thought I'd ask what some of those things might be. for example; getting better shocks, or replacing the tires or something.

There are no shocks on a beach cruiser to begin with, so "better" shocks is not applicable. You need to determine what diameter steer tube you have before anyone can recommend a good suspension fork. I recommend a front drum brake. Some people like caliper brakes, but I never had any luck with them. Pads are either too soft and wear fast, or too hard and don't stop well and also scratch and heat the rim. On a hot summer day, a long stop can heat the rim enough to blow the tire as well. It happened to me once as a kid. Drum brakes are not that cheap, but they are less expensive and easier to install than a disc brake. I use a front drum, and I've got plenty of stopping power at 30mph. I would also recommend a sturdier frame than a Kent bike from walmart. You can usually find a complete front wheel with drum for about $120 or so. A drum will last a very long time, and is all but impervious to weather. If you live where it snows, check the brake to make sure the cable isn't frozen before riding, no matter what type of brake you use. Drum brakes have hardened steel shoes that will outlast any rubber pads, disc calipers or rotors. And if the shoes ever do wear out, they can be replaced. A pair of drum shoes can probably last 10 years, maybe more. Google husky cycles, they carry a decent selection of drum wheels.

Well.. what bike would you recommend? I still have time to return the bike, but i don't know what I should get instead. Since I'm on a budget I don't wanna spend more than $200 or so. I've already put about 350 into this build minus the bike, i wanna keep this whole thing under $500. If that's possible.

Look for a bike with disc brakes. I don't recommend a disc brake conversion due to the cost, but you can usually find a bike with a front disc for under $200. Just make sure it has enough room in the frame for an engine. No full suspension frame, you'll never get an engine mounted mid-frame on one of those. You need at least 17" in the triangle to fit an engine. Take a measuring tape. If you can't find one at walmart, check Kmart and target.

disc brakes most definitly. they dont wear out like the pads when its raining. I was going through pads every three weeks witht the weight of the bike and the rain and ice which had comprimized my stopping ability greatly. if you have rear peddle brakes than all you need is a front disc hub and fork for the disc brake setup.

Drum brakes are cheaper than disc conversion kits when you count the cost of a disc compatible fork, and drum shoes last way longer than disc pads/rotors. Disc pads can still slip/glaze when the rotor gets wet. Drum shoes can too, but there is nothing protecting the rotor or disc pads from getting wet, whereas the drum shoes are encased in the hub, providing much greater protection from weather. So going by durability and vulnerability to hazardous weather, drums have the obvious advantage.

I havent heard of "drum brakes". Are they the same as peddle brakes? You would not have front brakes if so. And imo front is most important. My last job had front only.

Ahh, I see now they are the same , And they do make front drum brakes. My only concern would be over heating. Large mountains and heavy bikes. Also heating the up the wheel bearings. have you heard of any issues?

If you pump the brakes instead of putting constant pressure, you won't have any issues with overheating. Yes, coaster brakes are a type of drum brake, but the drum brakes for front wheels are far better than coaster brakes if properly adjusted and maintained.

Shame I just bought a 29" with front and rear disc brakes. I guess Ill find out about the problems involed with them. my major selling point on the disc's as opposed to the caliper was the rim bending on me with 20 miles I ride. NY has the worst roads in the country. makes you wonder where the tax money goes.

Back