What kit to buy? First time?

alan081954

Local time
12:44 PM
I was going to try a friction drive but decided to just get a kit. I see many on ebay and just don't know which to buy. My main use if it works is to ride into town and back on a regular basis. Tow is a 15 mile ride, 30 mile round trip. Oh yea....I'm on a small budget. Can yall help me out here to make the right choice for a first timer. Thanks a bunch.

Sorry, but a generic sort of 'which is best' answer is very hard to give. So much depends on the individual.

Better advice would be to read, read and read. Click on any interesting headline, read until you've finished or lost interest and then click on another.

Soon you'll start forming your own ideas about just which engine and drive train you want.

Have fun.

I too live in Tennessee. The law here is under 50 cc, automatic transmission (means no manual clutch), must have a driver's license. With the kits you get what you're willing to pay for. I personally use Staton Inc. I've got close to 5000 miles on my kit with no problems so far. Here is my bike.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGDGIIdn--s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

On a budget, I would get a 2 stroke China girl. If you don't want to deal with motor chain issues, get a thatsdax friction kit. (Avoid the cheapie friction kits on EBay - bad bearings). Just my opinion. Other members will likely recommend different kits. You must determine which will work best for you and fit your budget.

Still, I guess I'll go ahead and make my recommendation. If we're talking about being on a budget, then the good old happy time engine and kit wins hands down.

They are so inexpensive that I don't even count the cost. I've regarded my bikes as virtually free. Not quite accurate, I know. It costs a couple of hundred bucks. But compared to the cost of any other motor vehicle that is competent to get you around the neighborhood and a bit further, nothing comes close to this price.

There is a bit of a learning curve with them. Learning how to keep them operating without frustrating you every day. Not all that hard, but it's something that needs to be dealt with. You gotta learn to ride them, too. You can beat the bike to death and it'll return the favor. You gotta learn to roll with the punches. But that's not all that hard either.

And I'll bet this is all true of other, more pricey, options.

So I vote for the happy time.

Back