What kit to buy for a newbie??

Hello all,

I've been very interested in building a motorized bike and am ready to pull the trigger. I am thinking of purchasing a raw racer III kit. Is this a good kit to buy? Any drawbacks? I plan to use a Dremel and do the "porting", etc that i have seen on youtube on these engines. And a spring type chain tensioner.

I also will get the 50 teeth sprocket and adapter (that goes on the hub instead of using the spokes), and a pack with different sized carb jets (since i saw alot about tweaking your engine). I went with the 50 teeth sprocket (more power) since i wanna see how this does on some of the trails on our ranch. What do you think of this idea? Should i get the universal engine mounts as well?

It sounds like you are on the right track. It's smart to get a sprocket adapter, they can save a lot of headaches. I will say that if you plan to ride off road on trails you should try to get a full suspension bicycle, just having a suspension fork will be hard on the frame riding off road. These bikes are best on smooth paved roads. You can build a nice off road motorized bicycle but it will have unique challenges.

I will say that if you plan to ride off road on trails you should try to get a full suspension bicycle, just having a suspension fork will be hard on the frame riding off road. These bikes are best on smooth paved roads. You can build a nice off road motorized bicycle but it will have unique challenges.
I've rode my "race" bike you've seen off-road for years, even when it was single speed at 27 mph tops. It's a huffy cranbrook with a suntour front fork just like yours, except no lockout :(. I also ride it in my local skate park. Not having a rear suspension won't stop you from off-roading, it just makes it more fun :p.

I've rode my "race" bike you've seen off-road for years, even when it was single speed at 27 mph tops. It's a huffy cranbrook with a suntour front fork just like yours, except no lockout :(. I also ride it in my local skate park. Not having a rear suspension won't stop you from off-roading, it just makes it more fun :p.
I'm not saying it can't be done. I remember you riding around on the dirt at the race with those knobby tires. As I recall you even got a couple scrapes out there. Don't you have a steel frame? That bike looked pretty durable as I remember.

Yeah, I got scraped up when I drifted onto a paved section with gravel hiding it and high sided. My frame is steel and it's held up to my abuse. I've got 4 sets of tires now depending on what I'm doing. My street tires are hookworms lol.

Yeah, I got scraped up when I drifted onto a paved section with gravel hiding it and high sided. My frame is steel and it's held up to my abuse. I've got 4 sets of tires now depending on what I'm doing. My street tires are hookworms lol.

Yeah, an aluminum frame might not hold up as good as your steel one, but I guess I could be wrong. Still, if he is going to ride off road often he should at least get a strong frame if not full suspension. Yeah, I remember your bike with the shift kit. it kicks ass!

Back