What Now?

jacob

Local time
4:31 PM
ive had my bike (HT) for about 3 weeks now and its been fine the last couple of rides. i did go through the chain tensioner problem but fixed that. ive also replaced the nuts and bolts
Are there any completely necessary things i should get for it? im completely conntent with the power i get from it, i just want a reliable bike that will get me around. i dont want to modify the engine at all

thanks, J

just keep it clean so you can spot leaks before they become problems and check fittings that like to loosen up during first couple months - those things plus avoiding running at full throttle all the time should give you good longevity

NOTE: when tightening, look to see that the engine doesn't start leaning to the left which is what snaps many chains

I'll second what crassius said about making sure the engine doesn't lean over.

I suspect that that's the number one newbie error. Maybe the motor mounts don't fit the frame perfectly and they tighten as well as possible and think, "well, maybe that's good enough?"

It was my biggest newbie error. When I learned to do what it takes to fasten that engine down, then bike reliability improved a lot.

I don't get what u mean by the bike leaning to the left. I've mounted the engine to the frame the stock way at the back and at the front i used that plate u get for the larger u bolt and drilled a hole in it and screwed it in on a hole for a drink bottle holder mount. Is that sufficient?

Do I understand you right? Is your engine front mount bolted to a plate which is bolted to a bottle boss? That might not be enough; that bottle boss might break.

(Still, I gotta admit. That sounds like a pretty neat mount. I'd never thought of that. And I'd never heard of it. The only question is whether that bottle boss is strong enough. I just don't know, but I have doubts.)

I'd urge you to work out something that clamps all around the down tube. U-bolt, small muffler clamp, something like that.

If you don't have a front brake, get one. Even a BMX style caliper front brake is better than none at all.

Back