Clutch What size pulley for the driveline will i need?

You might not be reaching 3600 rpm with the current pulley ratio and lugging the engine which would cause odd noises. With the current pulley setup 35 MPH equates to 1615 engine rpm which would make the engine lug and the clutch ring like a bell.

FYI, idle speed on this engine is 1750rpm.

With 3.2" pulley @ 35mph, engine rpm is about 2042rpm.

You need a smaller pulley on the clutch, the ratio between the engine rpm and wheel rpm is to tall.

So I just got back from the forum the competitor a lot would think I'm hard headed wouldn't it be cheaper for me to cut the tooth sprocket off or dismount the sprocket from the chain clutch I have in an extra box and weld it on to the chain clutch comet face?

I was pricing Jack shafts before the group got to off at me...

Seems I'll still be coming out $100 + for the jackshaft kit which is cheaper for me to MOD my extra clutch pulley I'm sure it's held on by a clip with proper shaving I could probably save 50 by pulling out my welder for the first time.

Here's a schematic and the prior photo of the current setup minus the extra rack mount braces.

Schematic for jackshaft system:

IMAG0186.jpg

Current setup:

IMAG0170.jpg

If I go Jack shaft slits will have to be cut in the mounting plate to copy or imitate my current adjustable idler/tension bracket.

Yes, I know.

From the looks of the picture, OP has a standard 3.2" OD pulley.
Gear ratio is 4.69:1.
62mph @ 3600rpm.

And that is why the clutch is rattling
like a tambourine.

Yes, this clutch will not live a normal life span.

OP needs to use a 2" pulley.
I doubt there's a smaller(than 2" pulley w/a 3/4" bore)available
at a reasonable price.
15" sheave/2" pulley = 7.5:1.
39mph@3600rpm.

Rpms will increase with governor removal and
cam change.

Governors been deleted

As far as those pulleys going to have to chop and gut or go Jack shaft I shouldn't need a full jackshaft.

Can probably get baring holders and cut a few pieces of a single 14 inch rod but still maintain alignment with the sheave...

Does a jackshaft have to be supported on two ends or just to a center support area seeing I need smaller halves which can be locked down?

Last edited:
Back