What the Hell is the Deal?

Water quenching should make the copper harder, the longer the soak at temp and slower the cool, the softer the anneal.

I know it don't sound logical to me either and many dispute the argument of water quenching copper - vrs - air cooling of Copper
But the fact is that water quenching 100% copper dose not harden it. 100% copper stays soft after heating it up to cherry red.
I don't water quench either. I always air cool just because it sounds most logical and safe + That's the way I've always done it.

It's suggested not to water quench the copper when it's cherry red. Wait until it cools a little bit then water quench it.
Some people prefer water quenching because the water cleans off alot of the black carbon soot from annealing making it easier to clean

Last edited:
Water quenching should make the copper harder, the longer the soak at temp and slower the cool, the softer the anneal.
Ya got me wondering so I tested both. I cut 2 pieces of .016" copper sheet 3" x 3"
I heated them both up with a propane torch until they were cherry red.
I let one piece air cool, I quenched the other piece in water when it was cherry red.
Both pieces turned out the same, Both pieces were soft like a sheet of lead (soft copper)
The piece I quenched in water 75% of the black carbon & soot came off as soon as it hit the water. Finished cleaning with steel wool.
The piece I let air cool the 100% of the Black carbon & soot had to be cleaned off with steel wool.

Water quenching is faster and it's easier to clean the copper.
But I'm in no hurry I'll probably let it air cool the same way I have always done.

Bending the copper back and forth a few times made both pieces of copper get harder the same.

Explain the process.
Will it work on aluminum too?
Annealing aluminum, it all depends on the quality of aluminum.
Fully annealing aluminum requires very special ovens and very controlled temperatures.
Aluminum is annealed when it's a hair under melting point

Aluminum can be annealed the same way as copper with a torch. But aluminum is very easy to burn through.
I'ts suggested to mark up the gasket surface with a black sharpie pen.
Sharpie marks are used because the marks will disappear when the aluminum is hot enough.

Annealing aluminum is usually done when shaping aluminum.
Annealing prevents the aluminum from cracking when being shaped.

Looking at eBay got buy a new copper head gasket bad leak on the head real good deals on gasket for $5.00 they well send out 5 sets of gaskets of gaskets that is top and bottom gasket but every time I tap the buy icon it comes back: This seller does not want bids from YOU!

I take the kind of personally ME what did I do complain to some else in China about 10 sellers did that to me.
I've been banned from boygoesfast and BGFmotors on ebay because I bought something from them and it never arrived and had to file a claim

I've been banned from boygoesfast and BGFmotors on ebay because I bought something from them and it never arrived and had to file a claim
Sounds like a terrible business model
These are the reasons why i have never, and will never, get ANYTHING from the likes of ebay.

I've been hearing stories like these for years and engenders no trust factor as far as i'm concerned

boygoesfast and BGFmotors on ebay
These entities mentioned above that operate on ebay should be a great start of a "black ball" list of entities, selling their goods on ebay, So folks would know who never to do any business with...DAMIEN

Back