What to expect

Thanks for the advice on pulling the head. I watched a few videos about it. I guess I didn't realize the build quality could potentially be so poor. Good thing they are simple engines.

I am looking forward to the light weight zipping around. My smallest Motorcycle weights about 400lbs and my daily rider closer to 800. I'll feel like a kid on a minibike again lol.

Are there any recommended shift kits?

I can see this rabbit hole getting much deeper lol. Its a super cheap way to tinker and have fun. I'll even be able to involve the grandkids.
The one from Gru🐝Bee will probably be about the best one to go with. Sadly you can no longer buy one like mine.

I created a color coded shifting system for 9 sequential non-redundant ratios. All shifting is done with the left hand. The only time a front chainring is shifted is when in rear sprockets (3) or (5). If I'm going over 7000 rpm at WOT I shift to a higher gear. If I'm going under 6000 rpm at WOT I shift to a lower gear. Take off gears are: 1(1) up hill; all other take offs 2(3). Reduction range is 66.79:1 to 16.25:1. My system also eliminates cross chaining.

Red
1(1-3)
Steep hill climbing

Yellow
2(3-5)
Around town use

Green
3(5-7)
Open road use

20210704_205017.jpg

20210704_204623.jpg

20210704_204950.jpg

I got everything today. I was not expecting the quality to be quite as poor as it seems to be.internally everything looked fine. My engine has loose bolts. I had to re thread the exhaust. I had to use a sledge hammer on make a few things fit(brackets, exhaust). Forget about reading the instructions in the book.

I should be able to get it fired up tomorrow.

I can see how these can become never ending projects. It's alot of fun so far.
IMG_20220713_155628087_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220713_210610624.jpg

I got everything today. I was not expecting the quality to be quite as poor as it seems to be.internally everything looked fine. My engine has loose bolts. I had to re thread the exhaust. I had to use a sledge hammer on make a few things fit(brackets, exhaust). Forget about reading the instructions in the book.

I can see how these can become never ending projects. It's alot of fun so far.View attachment 177550View attachment 177551
If that's all you had to do consider yourself lucky.

Of course from factory the bolts are loose. Never trust the random chinese kid that put it together. Would you trust some random chinese kid to put your car engine together? Same rules apply. Check everything. Double check everything.

All those loose bolts will likely loosen up again during the first few rides. The bolts stretch some or the parts settle in. Or both. You'll either want to remove those fenders or reinforce them, they're a hospital visit waiting to happen.
Sounds like a fairly smooth install honestly. These are "universal" kits. They universally fit nothing lol. Nice looking bike for a build too.

All those loose bolts will likely loosen up during the first few rides, bolts stretch and the parts settle in some. You'll want to either remove or reinforce those fenders though. They're a hospital trip waiting to happen.

I can see how these can become never ending projects. It's alot of fun so far.View attachment 177550View attachment 177551
I always start with the rear wheel. Get the sprocket all trued up and then align the engine.

I got it running going down the road today. I spent about two hours trying to figure out why I was not getting spark. I finally determined the spark plugs they send was garbage. A quick trip to advance and it was running.

I tried to run without the tensioner. That was a bad idea as I sent peices of chain flying down the road behind me. Luckily I had enough extra chain to patch it together.

The carburetor is garbage. The needle and seat for the float will not shut fuel off so it constantly has fuel coming out the over flow. I can't even shut it off holding it in with my fingers. I ordered another carb.

Ive attached my speed run screenshot. Not bad considering the condition of the carb.

I'd say everyone has been right about the coaster brake. I'm pretty sure it's already toasted.
Screenshot_20220714-153627.png

Looks like a bofeng carb, they're usually pretty good. I've never had any issues with mine, there are a lot of people that run them. Maybe dig into it a little deeper.

So I am building my "first" Motorized bicycle. I built failed ones when I was a kid with weedeater motors and stuff.

I went down an Amazon rabbit hole and now I guess I'm building one.

I'm kind of curious what to expect.

I ordered a 100cc kit with a 36 Tooth sprocket. The bike has 26inch tires.

What kind of top speed can I really expect?

I am used to riding motorcycles. I have seen a few videos and I am curious about the clutch. I get popping the clutch to get it started. But I'm curious about taking off. The videos I've seen show people peddling to get to speed then releasing the clutch. Is it not like a motorcycle where you can feather the clutch for a take off?

The bike I'm using only has a coaster brake. Is that going to be adequate? I might look into a front disc brake later on. What other solutions are available to a suitable rear brake

I'm sure I'll have more questions when the boxes start showing up and I start putting it together.
You can use a rear disk brake also or old school caliper brakes work a little but don't last as you burn through pads. As for starting and stopping it is like a motorcycle but if you feather to much it will wear on clutch alot more so it is ideal to pedal some to start. If you need any help at all you can look me up on Facebook name is Christian Rae. My bike is my profile picture I have built many and I can help with some issues that may arise with your build. Happy to help another person into the hobby. Oh and that motor should run 40-45mph

You can use a rear disk brake also or old school caliper brakes work a little but don't last as you burn through pads. As for starting and stopping it is like a motorcycle but if you feather to much it will wear on clutch alot more so it is ideal to pedal some to start. If you need any help at all you can look me up on Facebook name is Christian Rae. My bike is my profile picture I have built many and I can help with some issues that may arise with your build. Happy to help another person into the hobby. Oh and that motor should run 40-45mph
That speed is after break in period.

That speed is after break in period.
I put my new carb on today. I may not have been super gentle as far as a break in goes. I hit 40 pretty easy with enough flat road.

I put 20 miles on it today before it seems my rear hub failed. The pedals just spin and the tire wobbles alot. Of course I didn't have my phone on me and was a ways from the house.

I think I want to pickup a donor mountain bike. That should be a cheap way to steal brakes and get a multiple speed wheel. I think I want to use a jack shaft kit and get some gearing.

It's def not like riding a motorcycle but I had a blast on it today.

Back