what trike and engine do i get?

E

eltatertoto

ok. here goes. my neighbor wants to ride.weve come to the conclusion that she wants a trike what she doesnt have to leanforward with, and doesnt hurt her back,and she wants to motorize it. it would be vary difficult to get her to go over 20o on the whole deal, and I would be doing it and pretty much everyone here knows im a bolt on, cheap price guy. as apposed to reading the threads that say that i need to mod tons of carp is there any fairly bolt on design? i was thinkin mount a happytime to the rack and put the sprocket on thw wrong side, but i dont know about the clearance etc. the only tricycle i ever touched was my red rider when i waas 3. i was also thinking get an auto clutch, and a minibike engine and mount it to the tiny sprocket, but that would be 1-1 or mabey even 1-1/2 to torque right? so please just give me a crash course, or mabey this needs to be in the links section? i dunno. i NEED as bolt-on as possible.

thanks
--the tater

Last edited by a moderator:
Rack mount to the front wheel easiest way.
Do you already have the trike? That's a major expense right there.

no trike. i didnt know you could put it on the front wheel, loke a 4 stroke? ive never seen anyone do that mabey i just mised it.

no wheel chairs, but that would be way to much work for me, and ive never worked with metal before, except for minor jobs, nothing that would affect someone. like breaking at 40mph lol. but if i got a rack mount 4 stroke, could i mount it to the front, just mount the rack easily? thanks.

im starting to think this might be a pipe dream, what with the prices and all. i would love to have like some bolt on thing i can attach to an existing bike. but kinda hard with no welder. have to think a little.

I don't know what your budget is but I know Staton-inc is rock solid and worth the price. Check this link out http://www.staton-inc.com/Results1.asp?Category=14

As I've heard they're customer service isn't the best but their kits speak for themselves. 4 stroke kits are available so they should be nice and quiet and BOLT ON! Since weight isn't an issue this would be ideal. I know you don't want to be fixing a happytime every week for somebody else all you'll have to do for a 4 stoke kit at most is oil changes. The small subaru and honda engines should be perfect for keeping the trike around 20mph. The only thing technical I've read about 4strokers is the valve timing that needs to be done once in awhile (which I've never dealt with on several ride-on and push lawnmowers) so this should be really reliable and fit the need for your neighbor.

On a side note if I was doing these kind of things I would write up a waiver (ask your dad) to defer any liability or that you're doing it as a business. Personally I don't do any work for anybody else unless I know them very well because I don't like the headaches of dealing with other peoples carp or possible lawsuits. Being underage this rests on your parents so put them in the loop! Good luck on the project but personally I would ask her to work on it with you as a partner otherwise things can become a seller-buyer relationship. I prefer to keep things as a partnership. Keeping things in this way will probably keep any tensions in a group effort (ie. you're helping her work on the trike so you have motorbiking companionship and if your bike dies she'll be more than happy to work on it with you)

In other words, work on this stuff WITH people you trust, otherwise dont think of it as business unless you're prepared to deal with all the BS of "business" which could end up a monetary and emotional loss for you. Just watching out for ya guy ;)

thankas for the info, i really dont think she wilol take out a lawsuit or sue me or somthin. shes like my ma's best friend, and we rode bikes for 2 years. i also use her shed as my workshop. so i dont think there would be any issues there, but i really dont think she'll like the price though. you could get a pretty nice moped for that money. but before i start spending her money,(or underestimating how high she'll go) i need to talk in person. once again thanks a bunch!

oh, and thanks for the link skyliner, but for 10 bucks more i get a 30 day warranty at my local bike shop. same exact bike also i think. and i dont think she would rule out eletric if she could get somthing at a reasonable price.

Back