What type of bike is most suitable for friction drive motors?

Discussion in 'Rack Mounted Engines' started by grubee newbie, Sep 2, 2010.

  1. grubee newbie

    grubee newbie New Member

    Not having to constantly tinker sounds good. I gathered that cruisers are ideal for frame mounted 2-strokes, but what type of bicycles are ideal for friction drive motors? Should I choose a 2 or 4 stroke and about how much are the kits? Are friction driven motors better if I plan to do some pedaling? Last question, are the cops less likely to trip when they see one? Thanks a lot!

  2. GearNut

    GearNut Active Member

    You can mount a friction drive on darned near any bicycle. You might have to get creative with the front mounting strap on rear suspension bikes though.

    2 or 4 stroke are both really good. Do you want to mix oil with the gas at every refueling, or do routine maintenance oil changes?
    4 strokes tend to have more hill climbing torque.
    2 strokes tend to have a faster top speed.
    What kind of riding do you have in mind?
    All standard engine kits require some pedaling. (unless heavily souped up) They are an assist device, not a exclusive device.

    Where do you live? Should the cops freak out on you if they seen you on an MB?
    The most cop friendly MB's tend to be electric assisted.
  3. loquin

    loquin Active Member


    4 strokes are generally quieter than 2 strokes, less likely to get the neighbors up in arms.

    What's your approximate location? When it rains, you'll need to be 'light' on the throttle.

    If present, fenders will either need to come off, or you sacrifice a section of fender where the roller makes contact with the tire.

    Finally, get a good quality slick, semi-slick, or inverted tread tire. You want smooth rubber against the roller; aggressive tread is less safe on the highway, and it causes excessive vibration.