What up? Oval chain rings!

DieselTech

Local time
12:30 AM
What's up with these new oval chain rings? Maybe some of you expert bike guys or gals can explain this to me. What gives?
Screenshot_20220801-105359_Samsung Internet.jpg

Mountain bikers like em since it (in theory) will even out the stroke on the peddles (since you produce the most amount of torque when the pedals are even vs straight up and down)

130$ is Wayy too much for that, Wolf tooth ones (made in Minnesota about 1/2hr from my house) cost about 70$

I have 3 of these of a similar design attached to the pedals on a standard bike. The design actually changes the effective sprocket ratio twice each revolution. This evens out the amount of force required to pedal uphill. This design reduces the noticeable ugh....ugh....ugh you feel and makes the resistance more the same as you're pedaling. When I installed mine in 1985 I wondered how long it would be till something wore out in my rear derailleur because it is ALWAYS moving back and forth. 37 years later it's still working fine.

I'm not sure what this ring was designed to fit. I do not recognize the indexing pattern on the center hole. I can see no purpose for this on a motorized bike. Enlighten me please.

I have 3 of these of a similar design attached to the pedals on a standard bike. The design actually changes the effective sprocket ratio twice each revolution. This evens out the amount of force required to pedal uphill. This design reduces the noticeable ugh....ugh....ugh you feel and makes the resistance more the same as you're pedaling. When I installed mine in 1985 I wondered how long it would be till something wore out in my rear derailleur because it is ALWAYS moving back and forth. 37 years later it's still working fine.

I'm not sure what this ring was designed to fit. I do not recognize the indexing pattern on the center hole. I can see no purpose for this on a motorized bike. Enlighten me please.
It is meant for the new SRAM cranks, all modern mountain bikes from about 2017 on have this style chain ring (basically reduced weight and improved strength and rigidity compared to their older styles) Shimano has their own proprietary style as well but the Sram style is much more common

Back