What Would Be the Cause?

inspectorcritic

Local time
3:52 AM
Yesterday an ice storm snuck in the fog things got really wet temperature 29° bike was running ok until I park it for an hour.

Tried friction starting it it just glump for air for 100 + plus yard then it started to fire I park it inside Walmart melt the ice off for half hour got on it again would not begin to fire until pedal 200 yards.

Next stop swap out CDI, change the plug, drain the carb same thing had to pedal 100+ yards.

Then I did get going took a turn at night on some concrete bike fell out from beneath me slam my back and head had enough warm hats on could not stand up even using bike as crutch.
8 more miles of black ice to go everything layer in ice, rocks, pavement, concrete, brick paving even sand and dirt one could not stand on.

Finally 400 yards from home took another spill this time landed on my knees. I'm just sitting in the sun right now enjoying the sunshine with bloody bang up knees, don't want get on them searching for the source, think maybe magneto screws might be lose or the machine is not design to ride in adverse weather like an oil switch shut down.

What could it be?

Last edited:
Hard starts could be a leaky head gasket torque them to the right spec 10 to 12 ft lbs or swap the magneto out

Yesterday an ice storm snuck in the fog things got really wet temperature 29° bike was running ok until I park it for an hour.

Tried friction starting it it just glump for air for 100 + plus yard then it started to fire I park it inside Walmart melt the ice off for half hour got on it again would not begin to fire until pedal 200 yards.

Next stop swap out CDI, change the plug, drain the carb same thing had to pedal 100+ yards.

Then I did get going took a turn at night on some concrete bike fell out from beneath me slam my back and head had enough warm hats on could not stand up even using bike as crutch.
8 more miles of black ice to go everything layer in ice, rocks, pavement, concrete, brick paving even sand and dirt one could not stand on.

Finally 400 yards from home took another spill this time landed on my knees. I'm just sitting in the sun right now enjoying the sunshine with bloody bang up knees, don't want get on them searching for the source, think maybe magneto screws might be lose or the machine is not design to ride in adverse weather like an oil switch shut down.

What could it be?
i would try to clean out the carb, the needle might have gotten some bad fuel. also change the fuel filter as it might be clogged and is starving the engine of fuel. clean the airfilter with soap and water then let it dry. the extra fuel and oil might have clogged the air filter ( my predator does this as well, only after i dump the mini bike over)
and if all of that doent work, i would change the needle clip around to see if maybe it likes it richer or leaner.
and my bike will only start if its on full choke when its cold. that might be your problem as well.

Well if you got ice storms hitting i think it is time to just park it drain it and let the baby be warm.
Next time try to put choke full get it started then just sit and Slowly lower the choke till it ish off let her warm up like you would a car
or do what i do bring it in the store or house let it warm up and ride it out and let it rip min you get out the door :p

but yeah if your getting ice storms don't you think it is time to stop riding a two wheeler your asking for pain my friend.

Some states just have crappy weather, Pennsylvania is another prime example. Ice storm crap as well here I’ve been without power since Friday night. I’ve noticed there is a ton of peeps on here from south Florida that ride motorized bikes year round it seems. Time to move perhaps, I mean I’m a young single guy not a geezer that’s retired but if they can I can.

im in Pennsylvania i do pretty good though the snow with these bikes but ice no thanks

Some states just have crappy weather, Pennsylvania is another prime example. Ice storm crap as well here I’ve been without power since Friday night. I’ve noticed there is a ton of peeps on here from south Florida that ride motorized bikes year round it seems. Time to move perhaps, I mean I’m a young single guy not a geezer that’s retired but if they can I can.
Not regretting my move from Minnesota back to Georgia after 20+ years there. I am a retired geezer :)

I wonder how much you’d save if you only rode a motorcycle or motorized bike in Fl. 60mpg and if your job and stores were close could probably save money. The only problem is I wouldn’t want an apartment, no room to work on stuff and no privacy. We all know how expensive houses are. Even a small trailer on your own plot of land is hard oh yeah wouldn’t want to live in a trailer park either. It would be cool to maybe have a meet up ride with some of you guys. Lately I have been leaning towards motorcycles as I get older. I can get a class M I just haven’t started the process yet.

Last edited:
Back