what year is this pacemaker?

nutz4vws

Local time
1:44 AM
Hello All,
I'm thinking about purchasing this whizzer. what year do you think it is? the engine turns over freely, pedal crank same. missing chain guard and exhaust, everything else appears to be there. what is the value of this in it's present condition? thanks for the help!

Attachments

• whiz1.jpg
    whiz1.jpg
    896.5 KB · Views: 497
  • whiz2.jpg
    whiz2.jpg
    698.9 KB · Views: 416
  • whiz3.jpg
    whiz3.jpg
    889.3 KB · Views: 376
  • whiz4.jpg
    whiz4.jpg
    812.2 KB · Views: 413
Its a "J" engine so probably a 1949 or 1950. Get the number off the casting next to the oil drain plug and i'm sure one of these guys on here will know exactly,

so what do you think it is worth as it sits? I don't mind paying fair value but don't want to overpay.

It's a 1948 because it has the elastic motor mounts (welded motor mounts in 1949) and the seat is mounted on a bicycle seat post (3-point mounting in 1949). The engine has been modified slightly, as a high finned high compression head, an aluminum EX manifold, and a tall breather have been added (all nice features). The front fender should be mounted with 2 front fender struts and a central tube going up into the bottom of the front end, because it does not appear (picture is not high enough resolution for these old eyes) to have the safety plates on the bottom of the fork legs that received the 3 fender braces.

It's a rough old dog and you've got your work cut out for you if you buy it. If you restore it you'll be throwing away most of the hardware, likely the wheels, etc due to corrosion. Think of it as a parts collection (frame, engine, front end) when you buy it since you'll need lots of other purchases to bring it back to life.

the engine serial number is J-227567. what year is the engine? can't find the frame # yet.

Ok I bought it. I probably overpaid but I don't care, I like it.

I believe it is an early 1948. The serial number is 484. So I think this is a frame that Whizzer made before Schwinn sued and started producing frames for whizzer. The engine serial is J-227567, it has a model N carter carb.

So now the fun begins. I need to get an exhaust pipe, chain guard, tires, compression twist grip ***'y, new cables, and probably a bunch of other stuff. If anyone has extra stuff let me know.

I'm first going to clean it up and get it mechanically sound and ride it before I start complete resto.

Thanks

Thanks WZ507 and RDKryton for the info. I was on Memorylane's site and noticed a swap meet Aug 13 weekend, anyone here ever go to one of these? Is there a lot of Whizzer stuff there. It's about a 100 mile trek for me, would it be worth my while? thanks again.

For sure an early 1948.

One of the very early Pacemakers and is easy to identify because of the "gussets". Only the very early frames had the "gussets" and the bicycle type seat.

The "loop" frame was used from 1948 to 1950. The 1948 & 49 used the "J" motor [a few very early bikes were rumored to have the "H" motor]. The 1950 had the "300" motor, short breather, aluminum exhaust manifold, and the 5" rear brake. It is also important to note the 1950 "300" motor was different than the standard production motor, as the area below the flywheel was short like the "H" motor. In 1951 the "loop" was removed from the frame. In 1952 the "700" series motor was used. All Pacemakers from 1950 to end of production used the 5" rear brake.

The hardest part to locate will be the chain guard [sadly I traded my spare to Fred White].

The front forks are also different on the 1948, and use a different "bumper" and don't have the flange on the fork legs to affix the front fender braces.

Memory Lane should have the correct fenders & braces [you can use the rear fender from the 1951 Ambassador if you can't locate the correct fender].

Although the tall oil breather isn't original it is considered "correct" as it was an upgrade offered in the early 50's, and simply allows the motor to hold 8 ounces of oil [stock was 6 ounces].

I have a 1950 Pacemaker, and is by far the best riding motorbike in my collection [over 25 motorbikes].

I have approx. $100,000.00 wort of vintage NOS parts if needed, and can advise where to find just about any part you may need.

The correct paint is 1984 Ford "midnight canyon red" [Whizzer maroon]

Hope this information is helpful.

Have fun,

Attachments

• 1950Right.jpg
    1950Right.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 557
Last edited:
Back