what you folks think about running an inverter gen at a 30 to 40 degree angle.

bike4life

Local time
8:27 PM
i am trying to make a hybrid ebike and the inverter gen will sit in the frame... however, it will sit on the downtube, which is obviously angled like idk 30 or 40 degrees to the ground...
thoughts! should be okay right?
i will have to modify the frame a tad so it will fit...

Last edited:
depends on which way you put it and the type of generator.

The only real problem I can see is if the carb angle is too great it'll stall the engine out (or flood it, depends where the float is)
and oil starvation (mainly upper area, valves, piston, etc) as there all splash lube systems designed for 15% or so of angular compensation.

depends on which way you put it and the type of generator.

The only real problem I can see is if the carb angle is too great it'll stall the engine out (or flood it, depends where the float is)
and oil starvation (mainly upper area, valves, piston, etc) as there all splash lube systems designed for 15% or so of angular compensation.
so probably i should modify the frame then so it fits relatively flat? i was a bit worried about that too...

Screenshot 2021-02-28 170646.png

ok here are the frame mods i guess...! think it will work... Only problem is looks like the bike will be around 15-20" longer... I hope it will still fit on the train now that its bigger lol!!! Also the pedals might now work anymore which is fine, but that would slightly hurt my legal defense, although idk im not too worried about them. I could probably design it so the pedals barely clear the engine which is all that counts. Not even if it would be uncomfortable to pedal or your legs would hit the engine. Its the letter of the law, that counts, not necessarily in its spirit.

First image shows regular triangle frame. 2nd image shows how the downtube will be removed completely and replaced with new work, top tube lengthened.

my generator just came in the mail from ebay. Its 1900 watts running / 2300 start inverter gen knockoff and only 380 dollars free shipping... noice! considering that a honda would be 3x the price.
still waiting on the switching supplies to converter 120v ac to 72v DC from aliexpress

keep in mind the width as well, it'll be a bit bulky mainly due to the sound shielding. You could strip it down and have it more compact without all the sound dampening stuff (if you prefer)

Go big or go home LOL? All joking aside! I actually saw a guy try and make one of these. He ran into all kinds of issues with the Generator. Your brushless motor will Exceed anything your tiny generator can put out! He had a 4.5hp Honda inverter generator on his and it struggles to drive a 36volt 800 watt motor hard core! Not enough amp output to power the buck down transformer to make the 36 volts at 800watts! Not no electrical genius by any means! But I have seen this fail hard first hand lol! Always remember! Start up amps and running amp ratings! Then cut everything it says in half unless you plan on using 220v to power everything! remember 1000 watt generator is normally 800ish running watts and your talking 400 wats per 120 leg! good luck!

agreed. my generator is 2,300 starting - 1900w running. I paid 380 usd for it on ebay. Honda gens are a MLM scheme, too expensive. I have no clue why honda can take a cheap 79cc engine and slap an easy 100 dollar inverter circuit on it and charge 2 grand. Nice thing cause capitalism, ebay has a knockoff honda 2200i inverter for 300 bucks, and it seemes to have even higher running watts.

I could have also bought a 4kw running inverter gen for 420, but it has a 212cc and prolly wouldnt fit in the frame. I am using switchmode power supplies for servers which are 95% efficient cause buck converters are only 70% efficient, so i should basically have a 1.8kw ebike. I am not sure if buck converters produce a smooth enough DC wave for a given load. Thats really his problem. Assuming he has a 2kw inverter gen and not a 800w tailgator, he needs to use a switching power supply, as they produce clean and pure power. Thanks! good luck for you. still waiting on the switchmode suppplies from aliexpress.
I also know a buck converter i have is very finicky, i mean i wouldnt trust it for an ebike main power conversion. probably the wave is not a smooth DC but has lots of ripples, which is causing big efficiency losses in the motor and bldc controller. See a bldc controller uses the frequency and shape of incoming power for timing, and if the waves are not perfect, the timing will be off...
love your screenshot by the way in mspaint!! noice. that generator is a chunky boi.

Last edited:
eh, I own a honda generator myself, albeit an older one I got for 40$

I have to say, if you lift it up compared to a knockoff of the same kind, the honda is noticeably heavier.
mines a 1000w/900 running (ex1000 is the model)

mainly people are paying the price because of the name, Honda.

same for cars, MCs, and anything else. if it's got honda in the name expect it to fetch about twice the price compared to anything else.

eh, I own a honda generator myself, albeit an older one I got for 40$

I have to say, if you lift it up compared to a knockoff of the same kind, the honda is noticeably heavier.
mines a 1000w/900 running (ex1000 is the model)

mainly people are paying the price because of the name, Honda.

same for cars, MCs, and anything else. if it's got honda in the name expect it to fetch about twice the price compared to anything else.
i would have gotten a free generator at a junkyard but i needed it to be an inverter cause they are light and tiny and also produce clean power... clean power is essential for active circuits... like bldc controllers and anything with fancy silicon.

Back