what you folks think about running an inverter gen at a 30 to 40 degree angle.

@bakaneko did a generator build with the 3000 watt mid drive cyclone motor, bet he can help you a ton @bike4life.
yeh, personally, i would just get a bigger battery unless you can get the generator into the frame in tacked. when I did it I took the generator apart and reassembled it into the frame without cutting the frame. Was a pain in the ass to get the vibrations and sound down.

Also, I still think he will need a battery to buffer the peak power surge during acceleration. I mean it is a good learning exercise. Cut the frame jam that generator in there and make sure bike is safe.

it seems to work... video uploading soon today or tommorow. i have my ebike plugged into wall power and it runs.... i should be able to plug it in the generator and get it to work.
-----
currently me ebike runs when plugged into wall power :)

Last edited:
here is the test run...
unfortunately, my generator overloads when accelerating which cuts of power to the ebike and then it actually will throw a red light and not generate any power until i turn the generator off and restart it. unfortunately, my generator is too smart, so it doesnt work for my ebike build as i cant get it past 12mph cause the generator will cut out power...

When i ran it off wall power, my ebike had sooo much torque it actually rammed into the workbench and still kept the wheel spinning accidently yesterday.

I have a 4kw regular non inverter 100lb generator im gonna put on the trailer and see how the ebike does. I think its gonna work with that guy cause that generator has no overload button and it has more wattage capacity....

good try. yeh, the cutoff. those joggers were like WTF. when i did mine, i had the battery buffer so the peak power required for acceleration was always buffered by a ~1kW battery. if you have the 4kW generator lieing around; see if that works. but, i mean what exactly is your end goal? i am assuming gas bikes are not legal there? you could also just get one of those cheap "puch" style mopeds with a clean title for cheap and put in a new or rework the motor so it goes 60. that would be a good challenge and also "legal". :)

Nice to see you got it moving. Watching it get ridden is hilarious, a bike in my mind should be able to pedal. So, something else to work on too.

good try. yeh, the cutoff. those joggers were like WTF. when i did mine, i had the battery buffer so the peak power required for acceleration was always buffered by a ~1kW battery. if you have the 4kW generator lieing around; see if that works. but, i mean what exactly is your end goal? i am assuming gas bikes are not legal there? you could also just get one of those cheap "puch" style mopeds with a clean title for cheap and put in a new or rework the motor so it goes 60. that would be a good challenge and also "legal". :)
im not buying insurance or registration... gas bikes are not legal in NJ without insurance, etc... I know 100% chance with this contraption i will win in court. I may plan on disabling the over-ride or using a generator that doesnt have an overload. I am first going to add a small capacitor bank to the input of the recifier system to see if that helps. I need a better clamp meter to measure surge current... With my clamp meter on a start up the motor draws 13 amps which should not overload it... it must be some sort of current surge. I tried the generator out with a 1500w heatgun and it worked... I think if I add some filter capacitors to the inputs of the generator i can prevent it from overloading...
also planning on buying one of these. I have a 12v 7ah battery in my bike for the horn... I can add a 750w inverter, 1500w peak on that battery so and parallel that output to the generator. Now my 2300w generator peak can do 3800w peak, so it should prevent overloading!!!!!

below is inverter.

Last edited:
Back