What's needed?

As promised, I'm back with an update. I have talked to Ala. Rep. Millican's office, who is the Representative from Winston County, that sponsored legislation to classify motorized bicycles as bicycled under the Ala. DMV. That bill would exempt MB's from the current Registration and Title Law. The bill passed the Ala. House in 2001 but died in the Senate. His assistant, that I spoke with, said the best bet was to get someone in the Senate to sponsor the bill and it could be revived.

Hey, Mickey and Bamabikeguy, we need to talk. We may have a real opportunity here to break new ground and establish a model for others to follow. None of us wants to go through what Torques underwent, this may be a real chance to make a difference.

I, for one, would not support this sort of governmental intrusion into my biking.... Did no one notice that although they proposed to do away with requirements for registration, that they blithely decided to tack on the requirement of an operators license???? To me, biking, be it pedal powered or motor assisted, is "all" about freedom from government... I would not in any way whatsoever want to see any motor assisted bike operator be required to have an operators license.... The whole reason I gave away my cars/motorcycles was to not have to deal with governmental regulations and intrusion.... I certainly do not see this as 'freedom' at all.... Seems like just another example of a governmental entity runnung hither and yon making regulations where none are neccessary. Count me out!!!!:mad:.......mojo

Under current law a MB is a MOTORCYCLE!!!! That already requires a license plus registration, tag, brake lights, turn signals etc. So whats your point?

What current law?? What state?? In alot of the states, the law reads "under X cc/incapable of X mph.. Then, it classes as a motor assisted bicycle that needs no registration and no operators license... Granted, most of us will be travelling in excess of the posted speed limit, but that is up to the individual to determine his or her own risk/safety zone.... I welcome no government intervention into power assisted biking...

Code of Alabama 1975, Section 32-8-11. Don't know how it is where you live, but here a MB is neither fish nor fowl. So the local PD puts them where they want to.

kerf

Trip Pittman is my newly elected Senator (special election in district 32). I'll write him tonight about Ala. 2001-HB630. Since he's new, I hope he will be interested in some green constituent service.

Mickey

Changing Alabama Law

I've sent a letter to my State Senator, Linda Coleman, requesting that she sponsor a bill in the Alabama Senate based House Bill 630-2001. This would define a motorized bicycle as a bicycle and allow its operation on public roadways under current bicycle laws. It would exempt MB from the need to obtain a title or tag. I'm hopeful that I will get an affirmative response from the good Senator and this legislation can be revived.

While I've encountered police from many jurisdictions in my travels, without problem, there is always the first time. I never try to hide what I'm doing, but would much prefer to be legal. I hope this little trip into the legislative process works and doesn't end in a crash and burn. I'll let you know when I get a response to my letter.

In starting this thread, I hoped to resurrect a bill in the Alabama Legislature that would legalize MB's. Mickey and I both wrote our respective Alabama Senators and requested that this be taken up but neither received much response. It's plain to see, that an individual stands little chance of getting any attention from our elected officials. I was thinking of trying again, this time with a petition, with maybe a thousand signatures. If many of these signatures were not Ala. residents, would anyone be the wiser?

I'm wondering about some sort of an on line petition through MBc's, that Mickey and I could use to get a response from the legislature. If we could get it to work here, it could work in other states as well. We're not asking much, just a clarification of the law, grouping MB's in with bicycles as far as registration and insurance laws are concerned. I would welcome any ideas on this subject.

Sweet thread!!

What's needed??

(1) The online petition
(2) A list of State & US congressmen
(3) A template where we fill in the congressman's name, our name, & maybe a custom paragraph each individual can add their own little touch to.

Now somebody mostly has to find sites for the first 2, but kerf prolly has a good idea for what our template should look like.

Could you imagine all the active members of MBc sending letters & emails all at once to everyone of his/her elected officials?

Back