What's stronger?

mikesova

Local time
8:16 AM
I was wondering what is stronger, an old steel 1950's schwinn or a new chinese made bike from wal-mart? Which one will hold up to being motorized better? Just curious, because I'm working on an oldie.

I can say one thing
those 1950's Schwinn's have some VERY STRONG FRAMES
and of course -- that is also when they were made in the USA !!!

serveral years working in bicycle shops
NEVER -- NEVER - saw a broken Schwinn 50's, 60's or 70's frame...

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

Last edited:
Imagine the steel on the truck in my avatar(1956). Now imagine the steel in a new car of today. One drawback is weight.
Is weight an issue? This may help your decision.

Last edited:
Weight can't be an issue when a bike is motorized unless you have to pedal it for extended periods in "no motor" areas. Go with the old frame if you can find one.

Weight can't be an issue when a bike is motorized unless you have to pedal it for extended periods in "no motor" areas.

yes - I am riding a motorized mountain bicycle

starting to wonder if ---
a little extra weight -- might even be a good thing ?

I am sure that at higher speeds it would feel better...

thinking about MB #2
maybe a heavier MB - all round

as we Ride That Thing Mountainman

My bike is pretty heavy with all the extra stuff on it- rides relatively smooth and stable.

My bike is pretty heavy with all the extra stuff on it- rides relatively smooth and stable.

you know HoughMade

I think that some would be willing to straight out -- buy -- if they could
a MB such as you have made.

they have a biker meeting down the road every Friday night
I am talking Harleys and bikers
these guys would get a real kick - much enjoyment seeing your MB !!!

have you ever thought about producing a few so as to sell ?

Ride That Thing - Mountainman

I was wondering what is stronger, an old steel 1950's schwinn or a new chinese made bike from wal-mart? Which one will hold up to being motorized better? Just curious, because I'm working on an oldie.
It's hard to say.
If both were in like-new condition, the old frame would be better.
Rust never sleeps though--so to a degree, it depends partly on how old the frame is.

I have seen a few pre-WW-II bicycles that I thought looked cool, and I thought about buying them and hanging them on the wall. I would not really ride them however, either with an engine or without--and if you ask on road-bicycling forums, you will hear the same things.
Two reasons-
1) parts can be VERY TOUGH to find for these bikes, the wheels/bearings/tires/bottom bracket are not the same as modern versions,,, and
2) they have been rusting away (inside and out!) for 50-75 or more years. You cannot fix, or even see all the rust damage they may have.

People do have bicycles that old, that occasionally do get GENTLY ridden. But they don't get on the things and crank as hard as possible, or do anything to stress them hard, because they know what will happen.
~

Last edited by a moderator:
Back