what's that screw for anyway??? carburetor - idle screw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep - that was it. Thanks guys. I'm fairly angry about those cheesbo Chinese instructions. Arrggh........

to noone in particular:

i see a lot of inquiries...basic stuff, too. this topic was "stickied" as a lighthearted jab at all of us about the little mistakes we can make, but the most common one isn't even mentioned, only illustrated...

save yourself some time and hassle, learn to search:

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4854&highlight=carb+pics

http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=4894&highlight=mixture

(i'm not criticising, only trying to help y'all use MBc to it's full potential...by searching, you can have your "fix" in a matter of minutes, then you're back on the road :))

thanx for the info blaze

i bought a new sbp expansion chamber and it did not come with any paperwork on how to tune exhaust or carb. someone gave me the link that explains it but all it said was raise or lower the eclip for richer or leaner. didn't explain where it was or what it looked like. you helped clear that up for me. Thanx

Ok in the side of the carb is a screw....what I believe is the idle screw .....mine is gone...nothing but a hole in the side of my carb will that damage my engine or no.. Thanks in advance

Mike

You dug up an old thread so at least you where looking. The screw on the left side of the carb when sitting on the bike looking forward is a idle speed screw it does not adjust fuel air ratio but it does hold the slide up to raze the idle, if it is not there there is a hole in the side of your carb and a somewhat large vacuum leak, bad very bad. The hole must be plugged, you can buy a new screw and spring from any vender listed on the site.

With that being bad....could it blow my head gasket? Which happened last week I replaced it but is there anything I can use to plug it...like shoe goo super glue ECT.

With that being bad....could it blow my head gasket? Which happened last week I replaced it but is there anything I can use to plug it...like shoe goo super glue ECT.
Another bolt? It's just a standard metric thread, like m4 or m3 or something. You probably have one in a drawer or jar somewhere lol. I'm only using the idle screw as a plug for the hole.. I like having no idle, it's my kill switch alternative lol. :)
Put some blue loctite on the threads if you don't have a spring, so it doesn't shake itself out.

The lean condition that may be occurring as a result having the hole there may be overheating the engine and it may be the cause of many horrible problems.
It is perhaps not the most likely cause of the blown head gasket. You should be using grade 8.8 studs (newer high quality kits came with good studs already, but you must upgrade the studs on cheaper/ generic kits) and have the head nuts correctly torqued down.
https://motoredbikes.com/threads/what-every-noob-needs-to-read.34942/
Also, don't be reusing the (unblown) aluminium gasket if you need to take the head off, as they don't seal well if they've been moved. Copper gaskets can be annealed and reused, or you can use the very thin "twisted Teflon tape gasket" if you have space (depends on your piston to head clearance). Search forums for info if that interests you.

It would run very lean if at all, which would cause over heating and seizure, possible warpage of the head and blown head gasket. Yes you could plug it till a replacement adj screw arrives, the plug needs to be solid so as not to get sucked into the carb/engine and cause further damage also it should not protrude into the carb body and interfere with the carb slide, the tread pitch is 4m.7 metric with a length no more than 6mm if a hardware store is near you pick one up or a golf T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back