What's the differences between Legal and street legal? (Texas)

jake99

Local time
7:53 PM
So my bike is a 50cc and from all I can tell its legal in texas so why would anybody go through the trouble of getting it street legal?

I have ridden to the bus parknride in Ft Bend and Harris counties with no problems from the local the local PDs and constables.
I have only heard of problems with TX law enforcement on some college campuses.
I had lights on my motorbike, but no tag or registration.
If you ride on suitable roads (speed limits around 45mph or less), you should be OK.
Ride like a commuter (bike helmet and back pack) and behave yourself and I doubt you will have any issues from law enforcement.
However, some officers are curious about motorized bikes and may pull you over to find out more about your motorbike.

Tell them it is 48cc and only does about 26 MPH on a good day. Obey the bicycle rules and regulations and you'll be ok.
I've gotten pulled over 4 times and each time they just want to know how many cc's and how fast the top speed is.

drive sane and they should leave you alone. I haven't driven one yet still building my first one but I see them running down the street from time to time infront of my work and Ive never seen one get stopped.

Aside from that little tidbit to remember is that these cant be considered a moped as last time I checked in the state of Tx a moped has to have a deck and a bicycle pedals are not considered a deck. You can also use the 49cc and less as well. I'm going to be running a 66-70cc 2 stroke and I'm going to claim it as a 49cc engine. Might even slap a 49cc round decal on the side but I think for my retro build I might keep with theme and put some emblem on there.

Back