What's the next step for performance?

I was looking around and came across a air-cooled KTM50 clone that can be had for around AUD $400-ish or a water-cooled version for a few bucks more at AUD $460.. there's even a 65cc version.. To be honest, I'd rather drop something like this into a motorized bike project than to stuff around with a china girl or even a Minarelli hybrid etc...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211219-192722_AliExpress_resized.jpg
    Screenshot_20211219-192722_AliExpress_resized.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Screenshot_20211219-192244_AliExpress_resized.jpg
    Screenshot_20211219-192244_AliExpress_resized.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 161
I was looking around and came across a air-cooled KTM50 clone that can be had for around AUD $400-ish or a water-cooled version for a few bucks more at AUD $460.. there's even a 65cc version.. To be honest, I'd rather drop something like this into a motorized bike project than to stuff around with a china girl or even a Minarelli hybrid etc...

Here ya go this guy put a water cooler 6 speed 65cc KTM on his bike
He got the engine off a wrecked dirt bike
His Death Trap will do 75 mph and he made a YouTube vid to prove it

The YouTube vid has been posted on this forum before but IDK where it is Maybe a member will find it and Post it again for us

BTW that's my Whizzer M/B in the background

DSCF9284.JPG

The YouTube vid has been posted on this forum before but IDK where it is Maybe a member will find it and Post it again for us

View attachment 162976
Yea seen the video, the thought of something locking up on that bike crossed my mind as I was watching it lol... just imagining his knees or elbows grinding the tarmac ...

I wonder if he's heard of a dirt bike before, he might be interested in one.

Sorry but I don't agree with alot of what has been said here! Performance from these engines does not cost alot compared to any other motor sport, but relies on the user's abilities and knowledge.

The biggest problem for most is lack of the above and being too "gung ho" to start trying mods they don't really understand and making the engine unsuited to their use.

A stock engine can do 40 mph easily and 50 if your good at getting the setup correct which should be the FIRST and foremost concern before any mods!

If the user struggles to get 30 mph from their engine, modifying it most likely won't get them much further ahead, as this will require a new setup that will be less forgiving than the previous simple stock setup!

Common mistakes of newb's is porting without the understanding of what that does or doesn't entail, for example raising the exhaust port DOES NOT raise the rpm and if the blow down created by that change is not corrected it will cost rpm, not gain it, a stock engine can turn 12k with the stock port timing though it's not recommended for other reasons. It can be done and is actually not that hard to achieve.

Understanding load and the torque required to deal with it is another main mistake newb's will encounter, putting a 36t gear out back is not going to make it faster when the engine struggles to turn it, never mind actually unload it! You need to know what the engine will spin up to when loaded and still reach a reasonable rpm because the most felt power is while the engine is able to unload the gear ratio used cleanly.

Pipes are a definite performance booster but again to get the most from them they have to be tuned, as in the right length for the port timing and rpm range intended, you can't just throw on a pipe and expect it to work miracles, same thing goes with bigger carbs, heads, reeds and so on.

One of the biggest rules in modifying engines is to do one thing at a time rather than just adding a bunch of parts or not knowing what or how each one worked alone and it's effect.

Yea seen the video, the thought of something locking up on that bike crossed my mind as I was watching it lol... just imagining his knees or elbows grinding the tarmac ...
Did you notice the brakes - only rear rim brakes - What Brakes :ROFLMAO:
No extra support gussets or front suspension going 75 mph.
With this set up the front end just might snap off, It's a Death Trap

I wish I had taken a close up of where the chain is close to the frame, He bent it out a little and notched it making a serious weak spot
He didn't even welderup over the notch

Did you notice the brakes - only rear rim brakes - What Brakes :ROFLMAO:
No extra support gussets or front suspension going 75 mph.
With this set up the front end just might snap off, It's a Death Trap

I wish I had taken a close up of where the chain is close to the frame, He bent it out a little and notched it making a serious weak spot
He didn't even welderup over the notch
Wow, and I thought my bike was dangerous. I must talk to him and learn his ways.

Back