whats this peice called?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by masterx1234, Jun 15, 2009.

  1. masterx1234

    masterx1234 Member

    whats the name of this peice that goes in between the engine sprocket to keep it from sliding on the engine, below is the detailed picture of what im talking about

    Attached Files:

  2. Porkchop

    Porkchop Member

    I think it's called a "woodruf key". The slot in the sproket is calle a "key way".
    That's what I've always been told, heard and read.
  3. bamabikeguy

    bamabikeguy Active Member

    And if you need to buy a rectangular key, it is sold at Auto Parts stores in a stick, about 12 inches long.

    Individual Woodruff keys, (the semi-circular type), I've found in packs of 3 at the Tractor Parts store.

    Nowadays, 4 mm and 5 mm are the most used sizes for applications such as ours.

    You want the exact size, don't want to grind any of the outside surface, because it is that outside surface that gives it just enough strength to lock pulleys, gears, and other parts to shafts.
  4. Porkchop

    Porkchop Member

    You can also buy them at Lowe's and Home Depot in the specialty nut and bolt section. They come in both steel and aluminum. Alumnum ones are usually used for what is called shear pins in lawnmowers and such. For these engines, which I've never seen the insides of, I think you would need steel !
  5. masterx1234

    masterx1234 Member

    thank you so much, you guys are a big help, i was needing another woodruff key because i lost the one on mine after changing the old wore out engine sprocket