What's your opinion of Ubuntu?

sparky

In case you didn't already know, Ubuntu is prolly the most commonly used Linux distro. I've been using Ubuntu exclusively for quite some time and am more than happy with this alternative to Windows & OS X.

There are too many great features of Ubuntu to list. It can make an obsolete computer look even more responsive & more beautiful than OS X, configured just the way you like it (see here & here), there's always quick updates to newly discovered issues (esp. security), there's a new release every 6 months for major feature upgrades, there are thousands of free programs to download from a central repository (no way to get malware of any kind if you download only from this repository), there's no need to run any extra malware searching programs, which frees up your cpu & more importantly your memory...

And best of all, Ubuntu itself is free and can be tried without even deleting your current Windows or OS X partition. Just download the newest Live CD (newest version 8.04 "Hardy Heron" released not even two weeks ago), and you'll be able to restart and boot from the CD, not even accessing the hard drive at all until another restart.

So, download it and let me know what you think. Or let me know what you think of it if you're already using it or have tried it before.

P.S. - Understand that Ubuntu is NOT Windows. Why would you want it to be? For example, there's an additional way to copy & paste (other than ctrl+c & ctrl+v)... just highlight the text you want to copy, then move the mouse cursor to the text field that you'd like to paste in and simply middle click. And there are also a few things you'd need to do in order, for example, to see Flash objects in web pages, since Adobe's Flash was closed source up until the last week or two. These basics can be solved with the Ubuntu Guide, or more advanced issues can be solved at the Ubuntu Forums... or you could just ask me!

Have a good one!

Last edited:

sparky

I'll take Cronus from you if you can't handle the goodness.

EDIT: Seriously, tho... it only costs you one blank CD.

sparky

Oh yea... there's also a new feature in 8.04, called Wubi. Supposedly it installs Ubuntu "inside" Windows, so you don't even need to configure anything at all.. it can simply be installed or removed with the basic "Add/Remove" program in Windows.

Linux has come a long way...

B

BSA

I've got server edition on a 26gb partition on my PC. It is an excelent choice for people who want to get the best out of their PC.
I would also recommend DR-DOS. A clone of MS-DOS which supports multitasking, password, large disks and long filenames. It is also free.

BSA

BoltsMissing

Sparky, what your saying is, Ubunto then is a OS in Linux, when installed on existing XP OS, Ubunto then overides the existing OS ?

So for example, If I have a HD with XP and important files in that HD, but it suffered the BSoD due to irreversable registry corruptions, then Ubunto can run those programs and files that previously worked in the XP environment ?

sparky

Bolts, there are many different ways of installing or just using Ubuntu.

If you already have XP on your hard drive, you can simply restart your computer with the CD in there and "test" Ubuntu from the CD drive (it's still pretty snappy).

From there, you can install it alongside Windows if you so choose, or you can completely override it... but there's not too many people who'd be able to do that.

Or you could go back to Windows and install Ubuntu essentially as an application that be Added or Removed like normal.. that's the Wubi thing I mentioned above. This is a new feature, and I have not used it since I rarely boot into Windows.

Also from inside Windows... you could use VMWare Server or Player (both free) to create a virtual "image" inside your Windows partition. Anytime you want to mess around with Ubuntu, you can open VMWare Player, open the Ubuntu "image" that you create like any other typical OS installation. The VMWare Player application pretty much treats this virtual image as your hard drive.. but all this is handled by the Player application. This is an awesome option. I have not created an Ubuntu image inside Windows... but I have created a Windows image inside Ubuntu before... and it was friggin' awesome.

There are just too many different ways to go about using Ubuntu... but I'd just make sure that the Live CD worked for things like wireless & maybe sound output before I start installing. I will be putting this newest version of Ubuntu on my desktop, but I'm going to actually keep my laptop at "Fesity Fawn" (two versions ago), because there's a bug with my mixer... I can hear sound but I can't adjust the volume.

Occasionally bugs like this do pop up, but it is pretty rare. But if they do... I've got a bunch of free support by opening up an IRC client & asking a lotta nerds to help me. Sometimes I'll ask a question on the forum to get an answer. IRC is a much more practical problem resolving tool than calling Dell & talking to some people reading from a script.

azbill

I downloaded and installed as per your suggestion...
am testing it as we speak
it was the easiest linux install I have done yet
no hardware issues (always a prob for me before)
seems to be an easy learning o/s for me so far :D

F

fetor56

Downloads at a good rate(230Kb/Sec) & i'll test it within the next few days....taa man.

Zev0

I've tried, ubuntu in the past. Liked it alot, however I'm perplexed by the limitations of software which I use to (ahem) make copies of dvds that I own, if you get my drift.