Wheel build question

Frankfort MB's

Local time
11:33 AM
Just got all the parts in for my 212cc predator wheel....

It's a double wall rim with 12g spokes and a freewheel, I tried lacing it tonight and it doesn't seem right....
I can't tighten the nipples any more and the hub is still not tight.

I can take more pics if needed.
Where did I mess up?!?!

Pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 256
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 266
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 273
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 299
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 269
You calculated spoke length for the three cross pattern but you have laced with the two cross pattern.
Is what it looks like..
Google images of two cross pattern and three cross pattern to check. No harm done anyway :)

I just "won" a rear wheel tonight, which was lucky because I paid for the front wheel that matches it last week. :p

You calculated spoke length for the three cross pattern but you have laced with the two cross pattern.
Is what it looks like..
Google images of two cross pattern and three cross pattern to check. No harm done anyway :)

I just "won" a rear wheel tonight, which was lucky because I paid for the front wheel that matches it last week. :p
I bought the spokes from a local bike shop so something like that doesn't happen.... Ironically:D

So do I need to lace it like the video you recommended on another thread?

I thought a spoke was a spoke..... Oh how I was wrong:p

Oh and after I get everything done right do you think these parts should hold up decently?

That's the reason I wanted to build a wheel is because I wanted something that would be able to take 10hp of pure Harbor Freight:p

I've heard nothing but good things from these brands, a second opinion is always good though:)

I think the images on Google are probably the easiest to follow. Wouldn't hurt to have that video tutorial on a loop though! ;)

Hmm, personallyyy I don't know what the rims are like. All I know is they don't come with double eyelets.. Or even single eyelets. The spokes you chose are so (insanely, lol) thick for a purpose, so I would have gone for double eyelets, but they do make non-eyeletted rims thicker near the holes (it is just heavier than single eyelets, and doesn't even attempt to do the same job as double eyelets). Saying that I never actually broke a Halo Combat single eyeletted rim when I was using them for mtb downhill/jumping.
I also know nothing whatever about the hub's you have. My (coming) wheelset's Halo hubs have four sealed bearings.. The hub only gets mixed/poor reviews on the mtb forums tbh, but it will be okay. I will rebuild with the Hope Big Un 48h rear hub when the present one breaks. :)

Last edited:
I'm still a noob at wheel building and the vocab so bear with me:D

I figured the extra thick spokes would help with cornering and keep the wheel from flexing.... Also the reason why I bought the double wall rim

What are you calling eyelets?

Well I have never built the thing just picked out my parts mostly from Dirt magazine articles in the early 2000s lol.

I would expect thick spokes to stretch less, sure. Whether that is true irl might come down to material they are made of. If they were expensive then they will likely do just fine. ;)

You should use Google images, lol. :p
The double eyelet is a nice thing though. Especially if you plan on using thick spokes (less stretchy, more able to exert large shock forces on the rim) they must need to be well anchored. The double eyelet links the inner and outer walls of the double wall rim, makes it virtually impossible to rip the nipple or eyelet out of the rim. Sometimes a non eyeletted rim can break around the hole and the nipple pulls through leaving a big messy hole where a chunk of rim is missing. I actually have one in my basement like that now.. Cheap wheelset that came on a cheap flat-bar road bike.. They should make the rim wall thickness greater in the central area where the spoke holes will be to compensate for being non-eyeletted, but I guess they just didn't do it enough (and that would never do the job of the double eyelet anyway, only a single).

Sorry about all the edits. :oops:

Tried to do cross 3 lacing but I'm not sure if I'm right?
Those 12g spokes WILL NOT BEND.... Especially where I want them to go....

Trying to keep calm before I chuck it out the nearby window:D

PLEASE HELP!!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 259
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 273
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    153.4 KB · Views: 279
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    163.2 KB · Views: 247
Some more "finished" pictures....
I don't like how the spokes are twisted and not sure if that's right:)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    182.9 KB · Views: 246
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172 KB · Views: 292
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 259
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg