Wheel build question

Some more "finished" pictures....
I don't like how the spokes are twisted and not sure if that's right:)
I like how you're still putting the smily face at the end of the post.
I am not smiling reading this.. What went wrong? You have not laced a traditional three cross pattern. :( I know that there are "fancy" patterns but they're all pretty bad as wheels and difficult to build. The simplest three cross would be fine, weaving under the third cross is nice too but not a problem with all three crosses the same if you want. I really don't know what pattern or video you followed.. Or what you can do now. The spokes must be quite bent now. :(

I like how you're still putting the smily face at the end of the post.
I am not smiling reading this.. What went wrong? You have not laced a traditional three cross pattern. :( I know that there are "fancy" patterns but they're all pretty bad as wheels and difficult to build. The simplest three cross would be fine, weaving under the third cross is nice too but not a problem with all three crosses the same if you want. I really don't know what pattern or video you followed.. Or what you can do now. The spokes must be quite bent now. :(

I figure it's better to laugh at your mistakes than get mad over something you can't prevent.

I should be able to use spokes again..... They are bent but they are so thick I might be able to bend them back.

Here's the video that I tried to follow.

http://longhaultruckerbuild.com/wheel-build/

I figure it's better to laugh at your mistakes than get mad over something you can't prevent.

I should be able to use spokes again..... They are bent but they are so thick I might be able to bend them back.

Here's the video that I tried to follow.

http://longhaultruckerbuild.com/wheel-build/

Well, indeed it is. I'm just surprised you were able to!

I'm not sure if you can get a good wheel build, true _and_ with fairly even tension, after bending and straightening out some of the spokes. It just seems to me that there would never be a reasonably even tension. I have had a quick search for info on it but it seems like no one has ever tried. Personally, I think it is worth replacing the bent ones.

I've seen the video, I posted the link! :p I posted another above as it shows the lacing nicely but less about the tensioning and truing. But do you not have any three cross wheels around your workshop that you can refer to while you are lacing?

Other than the extremely strong accent, that video was ALOT more helpful and easier to follow than the first one....

Spokes straightened out good and straight

I need another opinion but I think everything tightened out great, looks great, and feels great!
Rolls smooth with ZERO resistance.

Going to a community bike shop by Saturday to get him to put proper tension on the spokes and to get evaluated by a perfessional in person:)

A FEW HARSH WORDS AND BY GOLLY I THINK HES GOT IT!:p

Other than the extremely strong accent, that video was ALOT more helpful and easier to follow than the first one....

Spokes straightened out good and straight

I need another opinion but I think everything tightened out great, looks great, and feels great!
Rolls smooth with ZERO resistance.

Going to a community bike shop by Saturday to get him to put proper tension on the spokes and to get evaluated by a perfessional in person:)

A FEW HARSH WORDS AND BY GOLLY I THINK HES GOT IT!:p
Awesome! Can't wait to see! :cool:

I did enjoy the accent. :D

It looks good but knowing my luck there's something wrong :)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 262
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 268
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 268
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 260
It looks good but knowing my luck there's something wrong :)
Sorry. PLEASE don't shoot me. :oops: Adjacent spokes should go to opposite flanges.. In your groups of four you have like a R, L, L, R,, R, L, L, R.. instead of R, L, R, L, like the alternating holes in the rim.
Also in the last pic I can see your valve hole is in the middle of a group of four, so it is more difficult to attach a pump. It should be in a gap like the one 2 spaces to the right.
*hides and puts helmet on* :oops:

Sorry. PLEASE don't shoot me. :oops: Adjacent spokes should go to opposite flanges.. In your groups of four you have like a R, L, L, R,, R, L, L, R.. instead of R, L, R, L, like the alternating holes in the rim.
Also in the last pic I can see your valve hole is in the middle of a group of four, so it is more difficult to attach a pump. It should be in a gap like the one 2 spaces to the right.
*hides and puts helmet on* :oops:
I'm not worried about the pump problem since I typically use a air compressor tip that's not very big.....

I have a feeling that I should be worried about what your calling the adjecent spokes, I just don't have any idea what your talking about:p

Could it be a easy fix???
If i have to respoke it again, it's going somewhere else lol

I'm not worried about the pump problem since I typically use a air compressor tip that's not very big.....

I have a feeling that I should be worried about what your calling the adjecent spokes, I just don't have any idea what your talking about:p

Could it be a easy fix???
If i have to respoke it again, it's going somewhere else lol

You have to relace again. :/ No way around it.

Okay, what I'm talking about is the way none of the holes around the rim are in the centre. The rim is convex curved (not concave where spokes cross the centre line to the opposite side like interlocking your fingers) so right holes are for the right spokes/ hub flange, left holes for the left.. Like almost interlocking your fingers.

The good news is you can sort out the valve hole placement while you are completely relacing your wheel again. :)

*puts a hard hat on* :confused:

Actually, thinking about it, it might be just two of each four that need switching around. The 1 and 2, or the 3 and 4. Though that would not change the valve hole position it would help give more room there and more importantly the correct L, R, L, R thing. All the spokes would need to be loosened off evenly to do this, I think.

Back