Wheel Sprocket mount...a little confused

Whirlwind

Local time
7:18 PM
The installation instructions to my 47cc 2-cycle say to mount the sprocket right up against the spokes. and today I saw other instructions that state that one of the rubber gaskets be installed under the retainer(of course) while the other gasket is to be installed between the sprocket and spokes. In other words a retainer on esach side of the spokes. The latter makes more sense yet the fit-up is a bear with the coaster brake bracket being in the way. Any advice? Thanks

My build is on a Schwinn with pedal brakes

Attachments

• IMG_2726.JPG
    IMG_2726.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 245
My instructions said to put the gasket on each side of the spokes, but when I did so the sprocket was visibly out of line. Boring out the center of the sprocket wiith a dremel and mounting it against the spokes lined things up and let the chain lay in nicely. i have seen other instructions that say to only use one gasket when laying the sprocket against the spokes which makes sense too.

I am no expert but it appears the correct answer depends on your application. I am using both gaskets inside the spokes but check the tightness on the bolts every trip.

use a rubber ring on each side of the spokes, the sprocket should not contact the spokes.

On my homebrew project, I used the rubber ring on each side of the spokes and installed the sprocket with the teeth closer to the wheel. (dished portion out)

Thanks arceeguy bushido & mralaska

Thanks Guys! I was at a couple of stores today eyeing-up wheel hubs. Now I realize that there are many different style of hubs each presenting a different solution to mounting sprockets. Thanks again.

Personally, I wouldn't put the sprocket against the spokes with nothing in between. If there are chain/sprocket clearance issues, just do a "mexican-spec" job and use a piece of rubber inner tube to provide abrasion protection, yet allow for clearance.

True. I'll find some gasket mat'l (not as thick as the kit's) to provide some buffer.

Back