Wheels - Nothing but headaches

Rusty_S85

Local time
11:57 PM
Well all day today Ive been going over wheels and trying to make a decision.

I looked up the front forks I ordered for this frame.

https://www.niagaracycle.com/catego...pringer-replica-fork-26-300-x-25-4mm-threaded

I don't know what size hub is needed. Sounds like its a 180mm hub as I just don't believe the 70mm spec is for hubs.

In any case I even went so far as looking for 150mm single speed wheel assemblies but no such luck.

While I'm not 100% sure I believe this takes a standard 100mm front hub.

I browsed Amazon for that fork, in a listing with a bunch of questions on that product its stated there are 9 centimeters of space between the forks. So drop this into a measurement app using a photo of the same forks online, only in black instead of chrome, referenced the width between the two legs as 90mm,and the space between the drop outs is roughly 100mm..

Screenshot_2017-06-09-22-58-26.jpg

So it makes sense that they would pick a very common size for a hub width, 100 is a standard.

The other measurements are probably just other references to parts of the fork, like steer tube length, length of travel in suspension, max tire width (70 is 2.75 inches wide, there's apparently a little square blip on the left leg of the fork, you can saw it off (I have the foggiest clue what it is for) and fit bigger 3 and almost 4 inch tires in) and whatever else the manufacturer thought was significant to measure the length and/or width of...

According to sheldonbrown.com 100mm is the standard front hub spacing for modern hubs, chances if you buy one you'll be getting it in 100mm OLD (over lock nut distance.)

Good luck hope this helped!

Thanks for the reply, it does help.

I don't know why when it comes to bicycles why it has to be so complex on putting specs that are clear. I deal with automotive stuff all the time and everything is nice and laid out exactly what the specs are. Why I am like a chicken with its head cut off cause I cant make sense of some of this as it seems like some of these people that create these listings are not sane it seems.

I was thinking the forks were 180mm for the spacing. But being 100mm that's good I did find some online for wheel sets but everything that was 100mm was 135mm for the rear. I got to 150mm rear but the fronts were around 190 as they were for the fat tire bikes.

I would piece together a front and rear set up and have a local shop assemble the wheels. But I want to be positive that what ever is picked out will not cost me more money by having to redo something. At least if I have my own built I could take the rim itself to a local powder coater and have him powder coat it in a red that is very close to the paint I have for the forks and the frame.

As far as the bump goes on the left side of the fork, that is for use with caster brakes I believe I saw it stated. They are set up for use with multiple brakes off the bat. Since I will be chemically stripping the powder coating off the forks I have thought about sawing the mount off smoothing the fork out and then priming and painting the forks.

This would also allow me to make some modifications, I seen people talking about rattles and using bushings on the linkages to take some slop out.

The forks I ordered should be coming in Monday or Tuesday. Once they are here ill use my dial caliper and measure the space to verify. I verified on my bike frame today after work I got 149.14mm which I have to say is pretty close to 150mm.

Well all day today Ive been going over wheels and trying to make a decision.

I looked up the front forks I ordered for this frame.

https://www.niagaracycle.com/catego...pringer-replica-fork-26-300-x-25-4mm-threaded

I don't know what size hub is needed. Sounds like its a 180mm hub as I just don't believe the 70mm spec is for hubs.

In any case I even went so far as looking for 150mm single speed wheel assemblies but no such luck.
Ya I got them headaches too some sympathetic bike shop fix my rim tune them so f***ing tight in front of me I gasp that night a low barometer the bike spokes rim blew up took out about 5 spokes as***le was trying to kill me on the road.
So went to REI nice guy found me good deal 25 bucks steel rim. He put the tire on I notice when I wheeled my bike out a slight kink in tire should of stop right then. Just thought strange should have been factory trued, I' ll just true it when I get my lazy ass together.

So I went to true it had a broken spoke REI has the special tool pull the sprocket off for them to replace 1 spoke cost $38 now I debate should I spend $28 after tax order new one or fix the old one and its like 4 hours of work taking off the rubber padding gear putting it back on truing it.

Ouch, that's another thing for me. If I do buy this Grubee 61mm hub for a single speed build for a 150mm frame I don't even know where I could take it to have the wheel built where I wont have to worry about killing myself when I drive the bike for the first time.

Then theres the whole rim selection, not sure if bicycle rims are like cars and you have to go with the same width rim as width of tire you are going to run. Then I also don't want the new age style setup I want the old inner tube style with conventional valve stems. I'm not at the point of buying wheels yet. I haven't even gotten my front forks in yet so I haven't even painted my parts just yet. But I do want to get the wheels fairly soon so I can sit the bike on its wheels and not on painted metal.

Can I make a suggestion?
Buy the frame and fork. When they arrive, take them to your local bike ship.
See what they recommend for your use.
With what they recommend, you have an inkling of what will fit, and what you want to fit on your bike.
Who knows? The shop might have exactly what you want/need.
Good luck.

Can I make a suggestion?
Buy the frame and fork. When they arrive, take them to your local bike ship.
See what they recommend for your use.
With what they recommend, you have an inkling of what will fit, and what you want to fit on your bike.
Who knows? The shop might have exactly what you want/need.
Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I have the frame already have had it for a couple weeks now. the fork was supposed to be delivered today since I ordered it last Saturday but it looks like Monday to Tuesday if I am lucky. There is a bike shop not far from me that sells bikes I just need to contact them on Monday if they do work on bikes as well or just sell them.

Thanks for the reply. I have the frame already have had it for a couple weeks now. the fork was supposed to be delivered today since I ordered it last Saturday but it looks like Monday to Tuesday if I am lucky. There is a bike shop not far from me that sells bikes I just need to contact them on Monday if they do work on bikes as well or just sell them.
Are they a small town bike shop or a chain? I mean most likely if they specialize in bikes then yes they probably absolutely service them (and know what parts go on what.)

Are they a small town bike shop or a chain? I mean most likely if they specialize in bikes then yes they probably absolutely service them (and know what parts go on what.)

I'm not sure if they are a chain. They are based in a small store front at a local strip center here. Every time I go to the store to get groceries I see when they are open they have a good 50 or so bikes out front chained together for sale. Never been inside but will look into them to see what people think of them if its worth dealing with them.

You are stressing needlessly, as others are telling you. The front fork spacing will likely be 100mm - just about any bicycle wheel will fit. And the front end is the easy part. Unless you intend to cruise 35+mph for hours, just about any wheel with 36 spokes laced 3 cross will do just fine. If it is a 26" mountain bike wheel, just about any reasonable sized clincher tire will work from, say, 1.5" to 2.25".

The rear wheel is where you will find problems but not due to spacing. Generic 26" mountain bike sized rims cannot handle the forces over the long term.

Back