When would you decide that your kit is not worth fixing?

shawnshank

Local time
12:14 AM
Ok so I've had my GEBE rack mount Tanaka 40cc kit for about 5 years and for the last 8 months it's been out of commision due to needed repairs. The cost of the parts to make the repairs are going to be around $170.00. That's not a ton of money but it had me thinking...so far I have over $800 invested (I bought the velocity rim and I had to repalce some parts here and there) and with this repair it will bring me close to $1,000. I ride from around April to October (sometimes into November) and I take some decent rides but I don't use it every day (maybe three times a week and I burn about a tank sometimes a tank and half of gas each ride...how ever many miles that is). I understand that there are a lot of factors involved but I am starting to wonder how long I can expect this little motor to continue puching my arse around the city. At what point would you decide to stop repairing and consider either purchasing a new kit or investing a bit more money into something more substantial like a scooter? The scooter I have been looking at is around $2,500

It depends whether you want speed or money.Say you fix, that's $1000 for 5 years of transport/fun not including petrol.Difference in speed is usually 30mph MAB 50mph scooter, you can't lift a scooter, your sunk costs will be $2500 before you ever gas up or reg/insure it.The tires, if you have a flat that's beyond fix-a-flat you can't change it on the road, possible tow truck costs involved.A scooter will cost you money sitting idle (reg-insur), every part on it will be a b.i.t.c.h. to replace, and expensive.
You're driving in traffic, more vulnerable to tags/bumps, depending on the amount of traffic a bike may be faster.
You could buy the upper parts to the engine, and easily rebuild your tanaka in the off season, but I bet it will pull you 5 more years.
The only perks I see to a scooter is it's keyed (locking up the bike s.u.c.k.s) storage is built in, it's faster with better brakes.

Ok so I've had my GEBE rack mount Tanaka 40cc kit for about 5 years and for the last 8 months it's been out of commision due to needed repairs. The cost of the parts to make the repairs are going to be around $170.00. That's not a ton of money but it had me thinking...so far I have over $800 invested (I bought the velocity rim and I had to repalce some parts here and there) and with this repair it will bring me close to $1,000. I ride from around April to October (sometimes into November) and I take some decent rides but I don't use it every day (maybe three times a week and I burn about a tank sometimes a tank and half of gas each ride...how ever many miles that is). I understand that there are a lot of factors involved but I am starting to wonder how long I can expect this little motor to continue puching my arse around the city. At what point would you decide to stop repairing and consider either purchasing a new kit or investing a bit more money into something more substantial like a scooter? The scooter I have been looking at is around $2,500

$170/5 years is $34/ year for repairs.

$800 investment/5 years is $160/year.

Total is $194/year, or $16.17, not including gas & oil.

Fun part notwithstanding, I believe your MB has paid for itself by saving you parking fees, registration and car maintenance.

Fix the bike and keep it.

JMO

Your

As far as the bike only a broke frame would make me junk it, anything else just fix/replace broken part. As far as the motor I would say when fixing = 50% of the cost of new replacement then its a parts motor. Friction kit I'd just rebuild it theres only the roller or bearings to replace. Hardware, well that's what ace hardware is for.

If i was to be sensible and objective and unemotional over the question, i would have decided that my motorized bicycle kit was a project not worth starting, let alone fixing.

but

i am not sensible, nor objective about my decision and i am emotionally caught up in the spirit of motorized bicycling, hence i can justify horrendous amounts on repairs and modifications and upgrades which happened in the early stages of finding a cure for unreliability issues.

Last edited:
Fabian quit speaking aussie "i am not sensible, nor objective about my decision and i am emotionally caught up in the spirit of motorized bicycling, hence i can justify horrendous amounts of repairs and modifications and upgrades which happened in the early stages of finding a cure for unreliability issues. ". This is an english only site.

Back