where do you store your bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sideshowsideswipe

some of us have garages & some don't. Where do you keep your bike?

mine is next to a first floor deck by the back window of my apartment so I can look out and check on it if I need to. I have a big plastic bag over the seat and gas tank to keep the engine dry. I have two combo locks, one on each wheel. my apartment is pretty secluded so I'm not too concerned about theft - what do you all do?

Mine is locked up in my backyard behind a little overhang. I dont think the overhang is going to be nearly enough protection from the rain if there is any wind. I am probably going to get a tarp for my bike for the winter.

I live in a mobile home ( trailer court) in West Virginia. Its 70 ft. by 14. ft. but it does have a 10 x 20 ft. awning that protects from the rain. Right now its leaned up against the front steps but my oldlady won't allow that over the winter . We do have a 10'x 18' Greenhouse that sort of turns into a shop certain times of the year so I'll probably push it in there.I hate winter so so much I'd like to get on the thing and head south.I'm still waiting for my VW Bus to get fixed and plan to put a trip together to go south or south west for at least part of the winter.I'd rather be hot than frozen any day . I could at least take a ride to cool off. You can't ride to warm up though. The (Bus ) is supposed to be fixed this saturday but I've waited so long for the thing I'll believe that when I see it. Tom in WV

i lock mine up to the fence in the front yard and then throw a tarp over it to hide it to

Hi All
I keep mine in my dining room . Or should I say my bike room . I used to store my BSA there too , before I sold it . As long as you put a dribble tray underneath it's OK . You must also be able to tolerate the horrible racket from the spouse when you store her grannies china cabinet in the basement to make room . It's not that I live in a high crime area . I live in the country . It's because I like to look at my bike . The pictures don't do it justice . It is 40+ years old and in fantastic condition ............................D.J.

mininewbikepiclo9.jpg

minieyespt3.jpg

A freind who attends every Vanderbilt game (don't ask me why) has seen these metal "bike boxes", on the campuses at Ann Arbor Mich and Tuscaloosa Ala. by the athletic departments.

He says they are metal, about 30 in a section, with a key in the lock, like the old bus/train depot boxes you could use. Lock in the bike, take the key, come back and its "free" to use I think.

Somebody near a campus maybe could check it out, because if it could be bought in a single unit, then "screw the side panel into a wall" or something to anchor it, it would be a "garage for your bike".

One other thing you can do-

Outside of Denver I stopped at a museum, but the only thing to lock it to was a 6 foot pole. I knew I was going to be in there a couple of hours, it wasn't my traveling bag I was worried about. (spend $10 bucks at a goodwill and you can go for a week without having to do laundry).

But I thought a couple of guys could lift that bike up and over that pole.

The sun brand has the quick release on the saddle post, so I took the saddle off and left it at the ticket office lady's desk, said I could't have a horse thief leave me stranded 1,000 miles from home.

D.J. said:
Hi All
I keep mine in my dining room . Or should I say my bike room . I used to store my BSA there too , before I sold it . As long as you put a dribble tray underneath it's OK . You must also be able to tolerate the horrible racket from the spouse when you store her grannies china cabinet in the basement to make room . It's not that I live in a high crime area . I live in the country . It's because I like to look at my bike . The pictures don't do it justice . It is 40+ years old and in fantastic condition ............................D.J.

I really like the painting on the engine. Your bike looks great.

Thanks Tom . I get a lot of good responses with my bike , even from the hard core bikers . This is part of an article from Popular Mechanics . Storage for bikes doesn't have to be huge and garage like . I would go further and disguise it as a dog house for a large dog . If you would like to see more info from the article just ask ..................D.J.

minimotorbikehut2qv5.jpg

minimotorbikehuthc1.jpg

in the living room, silly...i live in a 30ft rv-trailer ;)

she likes old episodes of nypd blue, just like me 8)

D.J., that is one sweet ride...like you, i'm a former motorcyclist (82 kawasaki k1000p)...i'm as happy on "sabrina-II" as i ever was on the kawi, plus i can afford to eat, so maybe i'm happier :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back