Where should I mount my cdi

intrepid

Local time
1:00 PM
My first cdi got water in it from riding in the rain, broke. My second cdi got melted(my fault for putting a heat jet on the engine), broke. my third is coming soon... should I mount this one in another place rather than the normal lower frame bar? I was thinking of:

Upper frame bar, upside down(need more wire to get it that far up, big frame.)
Lower frame bar, higher up(was low down on the frame for the first 2).
Back frame vertical bar, again need more wire but I have enough from the 2 busted cdis.

Or should I keep it in its normal place, just cover it with duct tape? Silicon? Should I just leave it alone?
Not entirely sure how it is possible for water to get in either, it is in a solid state, I figured that out by tearing a broken cdi apart. It is completely surrounded in plastic. How would water leakage be possible?

I always locate them within reaching distance from the plug but away from the heat of the exhaust.

I have no idea, I imagine a thin coat of silicone seal along any seams would keep the water out.

I put mine in the seat stay just below the top bar, I had to extend the wires from the motor but the plug wire was just the right length

I don't ride in the rain... But when I do get caught in it... I spray down my CDI box with WD-40. (y)(y)
WD-40 is the trademark name of a water-displacing spray manufactured by the WD-40

Honestly by now shouldn’t the wd-40 name have passed into public domain? I call all spray oils like it wd/40 lol and all mice are Mickey too

This is how you should mount the CDI. Water will never get into it, it'll drip off.
I live in South Florida and you never know when it's going to rain. I rode my bike in downpours where the rain is literally stinging your face as u cruise so this method works.
I believe fenders help keep water coming off front wheels. That itself keeps water away from whole engine too. Get a bike with fenders.

Attachments

• Message_1594758486825(1).jpg
    Message_1594758486825(1).jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 212
This is how you should mount the CDI. Water will never get into it, it'll drip off.
I live in South Florida and you never know when it's going to rain. I rode my bike in downpours where the rain is literally stinging your face as u cruise so this method works.
I believe fenders help keep water coming off front wheels. That itself keeps water away from whole engine too. Get a bike with fenders.
Amen, that is where mine is as well.

Back