Where to buy budget bike forks

akjam

Local time
5:29 PM
The bike fork on my bike recently got really bent because of a crash and I know what specs I need but I just want to hear other people's thoughts on this topic. The last fork I had did not have suspension so now I'm looking for one with suspension but also relatively cheap (like $100-130 cheap) and I've been looking mostly on Amazon since I have prime. But then I realized there are of course other sites as well as being able to buy used parts, which I have no experience in. I have found a fork I thought I should buy on Amazon and tried to compare it to other forks on eBay but those sellers sometimes don't list specs on them and some of those forks I couldn't find information on online. So now I don't really know where I should be buying budget bike forks from. In the end, I just really want to know if it's still worth investing more of my time into researching a lot more on eBay and other sites. I'm seeking opinions and comments from all.

The fork I want to buy:

Also if anyone has any recommendations in the $100-130 range ill be happy to look at them. I can go a couple of bucks above $130 too. I don't do rough riding, just street, and sidewalk stuff but I do like going fast (around 28-32mph constant).

And I have tried looking for help in older forums but it didn't really much

Last edited:
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.

You can get a fork thats a 100x better for the same cost, just gotta find the correct one.

I'd also look on craigslist and see if anyone is parting out a bike, useally you can get some killer deals I'd you look hard enough

those Amazon forks will work, but quality will be pretty shotty

You can get a fork thats a 100x better for the same cost, just gotta find the correct one.

I'd also look on craigslist and see if anyone is parting out a bike, useally you can get some killer deals I'd you look hard enough

those Amazon forks will work, but quality will be pretty
I doubt it will be 100x better and what makes the fork I want to buy so bad? and what would be the correct one then? Also, when people sell whole bikes on craigslist or Offerup they turn out to be more than the fork itself and how would I know that the bike I'm looking at has the things I need?

I doubt it will be 100x better and what makes the fork I want to buy so bad? and what would be the correct one then? Also, when people sell whole bikes on craigslist or Offerup they turn out to be more than the fork itself and how would I know that the bike I'm looking at has the things I need?
the main thing is dampening, stiction, refinement, etc etc.

a branded (such as RockShox for example) fork will deliver a better ride-feel, more steering response.

buying used, people tend to upgrade to a better fork, and will list it on fb, craigslist, PB, etc. which then can be had for a decent deal.

HOWEVER, there isn't inherently wrong with that fork, if you feel your gonna like it, id stick with it since its brand new.

I just wanted to express some opinions as well as alternatives.

ALSO:

keep in mind your gonna need a race pressed in with that fork, so keep that in mind when purchasing.

the main thing is dampening, stiction, refinement, etc etc.

a branded (such as RockShox for example) fork will deliver a better ride-feel, more steering response.

buying used, people tend to upgrade to a better fork, and will list it on fb, craigslist, PB, etc. which then can be had for a decent deal.

HOWEVER, there isn't inherently wrong with that fork, if you feel your gonna like it, id stick with it since its brand new.

I just wanted to express some opinions as well as alternatives.
You gave me much more useful information than google so thank you very much. I see that brand new RockShox are in the upper $100 so I probably won't be going for them at this moment since I am on a budget but I will keep my eye out for them on craigslist and such. And I'll probably be buying the fork I mentioned but I will wait a little longer because others may have some things to say about this topic too.

ALSO:

keep in mind your gonna need a race pressed in with that fork, so keep that in mind when purchasing.
I've looked online but I still don't understand what you mean by a pressed in race. I thought all of them had to be pressed in. It's just pushing the crown onto the 30mm part at the bottom of the fork right?

I've looked online but I still don't understand what you mean by a pressed in race. I thought all of them had to be pressed in. It's just pushing the crown onto the 30mm part at the bottom of the fork right?
You would need to purchase a crown race, since it's not included in the fork from the factory.

So, yes, pretty much what you said

You would need to purchase a crown race, since it's not included in the fork from the factory.

So, yes, pretty much what you said
If it's just about that then I already new the race didn't come with the fork but I know they are relatively cheap. Also, the one you linked doesn't work with my fork im pretty sure. I'm pretty sure you knew that too though.

It looks okay to me. Just make sure that you have a thread less frame and it's the right size. That fork has a disc brake mount, do you have a disc brake hub and calipers that will fit?

Back