Where to find RS parts in Canada

applicant_255

Local time
8:56 PM
A few weeks back I had a very successful yard sale on my way to work.

I managed to break all the things that attach to the carburetor into several pieces each.

Most of it I've successfully glued back together with some stuff I picked up Canadian Tire - "Gas and Oil Resistant Seal All".

It worked pretty well, so I went for a spin around town, but about twenty minutes in the engine started running a bit lean. When I checked, the insulator, a plastic piece that holds the carb, and everything attached to it, to the head, had come apart at one crack, So I pedaled home.

Everything else held up really well, but the seal all just couldn't hold the insulator together.

I had some Cyanoacrylite Model Airplane glue, so I stuck that on and let it harden, but it lasted about the same length of time, about twenty minutes before the part cracked open again, and I decided to pedal home.

I started looking for a replacement part online, and was surprised to find it wasn't fantastically expensive, 10-20 bucks, but I can't find a place that will ship to Canada for some reason.

Staton says to email them at sales looking for a quote to Canada, as their web store can't handle the S&H charges up this way. I emailed them on the 8th with what I'm looking for, and my address, and haven't heard back from them.

Here's the part I'm looking for

Part 592-30050-01 ( though one website said it was replaced with 592-30050-02 )

http://www.staton-inc.com/Details.asp?ProductID=3092

Does anybody have any ideas for super-strong glue that will hold this part together, or a place that will ship it to me in Canada?

Couple of things.

There are different kinds of "glue". Some repair jobs require a specific epoxy for the application. For this repair, you need a high temp epoxy. JB Weld slow cure might work better. It claims to be good to 600 degrees F.
There is the question of heat there, if you can find a higher temp epoxy then use that.

Epoxy bonding is really about prep. You must clean the joining surfaces completely, particularly of any oil, grease or contaminants. Epoxy is particularly resistant to chemicals like silicon. Here I mean even from your hands. I use alcohol liberally to clean with and then don't touch it.

Next in prep is clamping. An epoxied bond is only as good as the clamping you use. With irregular plastic parts like you have, you must first figure out the way you are going to clamp it tight. Maybe use heavy rubber bands or string or small C clamps. Whatever. Be inventive and try it first with a dry run to be sure it'll work once you apply the epoxy. With multiple broken pieces you might have to bond them in steps and wait 24 hours between.

This might seem like a pain but I've done some similar repairs like you have and the bonds were stronger than the original parts.

Now, I've just posted all this in case you can't get the part. Really much easier to call Dave Staton and cajole him into sending you such a small package. I know I've seen him list kits on eBay Canada.

Also, have you tried searching here?:
http://www.robinamerica.com/dealerusacan.aspx

The dealerscan didn't turn up anybody within driving distance. I'm more than willing to try gluing again.

I had thought of jbweld, but didn't think it was for hi-temp applications, for some reason ( although neither the seal-all nor the super-jet mentions temperature either ). I'll go pick up some of the slow cure stuff and try it.

The last time I tried repairing it I did judiciously apply alcohol, but maybe this time I'll try using it to clean the bike parts too.

Thanks!

Back