Where to purchase THumb Throttle?

rode an ATV with one, and it got annoying after a while, maybe just because I'm not used to the setup.

I like my twist throttle ok with my happy time but sometimes I do wish for a thumb throttle cause if any one of my family may ride my bike I always fear they will turn that throttle too hard thinking that will give them more power and brake my cable or even the plastic sleeve inside the carburator that the cable rests on. At least with the thumb throttle you can see where you're maxed out and can adjust the throttle stop before it hinders on shearing the cable off the slide.

I think that thumb throttles are designed for novice riders who are afraid that they might give too much gas and in a panic grab onto the standard twist throttle and fall off the rear of the bike. I've only seen thumb throttles on ATV's & snowmobiles. Why these types of vehicles in particular, I'm not sure???? Anyone wanna let me know? I think some Jet Ski's have them too?
I've driven a few quads with thumb throttles and have to admit that they do take a little getting used to, but I'm sure when you get the hang of it. You'll forget all about twist throttles!!!!LOL
I'm thinking of trying out a thumb throttle on my first gas engined bike build. Since my donor bike is a mountain bike, I plan on taking it on some dirt trails and in some technical areas as well, just as if it were any regular mountain bike. I think a thumb throttle might make it easier for me to modulate the power and less chance for me to lose control while in the technical rough stuff. But I won't know until I try. And I plan on trying out the stock twist throttle first.

Cheers.............
Steve

i can tell you right now...ive been riding quads for 6 years before i recently switched back to dirtbikes and thumb throttles SUCK!!!!! they get extremely tiring for your thumb till the point where you have to use your wrist. it may bey cool and different but i would definately would not reccommend it!
This is a pretty ludicrous statement. "Use your thumb till the point where you have to use your wrist"?? Err... how are you using the twist grip?

I prefer thumb throttles because I still feel like I have control of both sides of the handlebar AND the exact speed I need to maintain. It's that independent control that wins it for me. If I jump in the air, I dunno how to react with a twist throttle. Do I lift up on the grips for the jump, but oh no... that will give me more gas. Also, pulling back on the twistys takes my hand farther away from the brake lever. I'm sure I could adjust, but it's just more difficult than it needs to be, IMO.

Thumb throttles could also be called a safety switch. Fall off and your hand auto comes off the throttle whereas you might grip the twist throttle tighter and increase engine speed. That's the way I look at it.

Makes me wonder why more kits don't come with thumb throttles?

Seems like the only options right now are:

- staton's two finger lever (prolly same as goped's)
- cutoff brake lever
- ratcheting shifter (some might possibly work when disabled, but the one I tried didn't move the cable very far unless the ratchet was working... which means cruise control, but longer time to back off the throttle)

I chose the cutoff brake lever as it was free & the ratcheting shifter felt best, but I didn't want to have to click down 3 or 4 times while braking in a hurry.

i use a break lever as a throttle too, i just use it the regular way round on the right hand side. i have a dual pull brake on the left. I like it a lot more then the twist grip.

Back