where's the smoke?

L

lotsa_mpg

Ok, maybe this is a dumb question, but where is the smoke? I followed the instructions on both the Dax engines I've installed mixing the first tank at 16:1 and at 20:1 after break in. I thought that was a ridiculously oil rich mixture and expected to be fouling plugs constantly and be belching smoke when I ride down the street...but I'm still running the original plug and I have yet to see a hint of blue smoke from the exhaust. If I ran a 20:1 mix in my snowmobile or weedwacker, they'd be gushing out massive amounts of smoke. In fact, I did use some leftover bicycle premix in my weedwacker and I couldn't stand the smoke. So where's it go in the bike engine? Is there something in the muffler that absorbs it? If so, does the muffler need to be dismantled and cleaned regularily? Anybody else surprised at how little these things smoke with so much oil in the gas?

Pete

Nope, mine has plenty of smoke at 20:1... enough that I want to go to 25 or 30:1 as soon as possible to stop the oil blowing out the muffler connection! :censored:

I use the same fuel in my weedwacker and leaf blower that I use in my bike. No smoke ever from any of them. I'm not sure why your other stuff smokes on the same fuel, but no it doesn't get absorbed anywhere.

The other comment is- go ahead and use the 36-40 to 1 fuel mix. The reason the instructions ay to break in at that rediculous amount of oil is two fold- one, to "cover the hind quarters" and two- because in China where these are built, they use regular (and low grade) motor oil to mix for the most part.

My engine only smoked when I ran 20:1. But not often, only in the mornings during warm up.

If your past break in, use a good 2 stroke oil for air-cooled engines and make the jump from 20:1 to 40:1, you will love it. Much more power.

fully synthetic smokes less than dinosaur oil, yes?
sometimes mine smokes a little on warm-up, but thats about it.

i ran dino (briggs & stratton air-cooled) at 20:1 during break-in (and while re-seating some new rings) then went to 40:1 same oil.

the only time i ever had noticable smoke was when i was experiencing a weak spark. all new ignition, no smoke.

I just ran a whole tank of gas through the military bike and before I went I mixed some gas with a mix of 4 ounces Penzoil for air cooled engines, and 3 ounce of de-gummed castor in a gallon. While the exhaust smelled absolutley heavenly, it still didn't smoke. Ran real good too.

"where's the smoke?"-man, if i had a dollar for everytime i've asked that question... ;)
dont reply to that ^ statement, boys and girls...however, i was wondering what the purpose of the de-gummed castor oil serves?

me too about the castor...significant benefits? worth the extra science (i like just pouring one bottle in one gascan) & cost?

This is True

The new 2 stroke oils do not smoke much any more.. Also..go to 40:1 after break in. Enjoy the ride..

Back