Which bike for cross-country trek(no pun intended)

Sprocket777

Local time
7:02 PM
Hello,

I'm am stuck working overseas for a year right now with limited fun times. So I have been reading and contemplating a cross-country trip as a vacation when I return to the states (Inspired by a ride report called "Sydney to Londen on a moped named Dot"). This is purely in the mad-man brainstorming stages right now, so it may or may not happen.

I have decided that if I was going to do it, I would use a GEBE with either a 32 or 40 Tanaka because of the limited drive train power loss compared to systems with a gear box.

My current bike is a nice DB mountain bike with disc brakes. Two problems though are: 1. Riding position too uncomfortable for all day long, 2. The frame "pinches" in the back and is too narrow to fit the drive ring.

I am interested in a bike that has:
-A steel frame
-Front suspension
-Not over 300-400 $
-Comfortable riding position (not recumbent)

Seems like the name brand bikes use aluminum frames, and I would be worried about them cracking over 3k miles of weighted down abuse.

What do you think? Any reputable beach cruisers out there? I know Bamabikeguy used a "standard" bike, but not sure what type it was. Wish he was here to offer his advice.

Thanks

Check out spookytooth cycles. They have some very nice solid tough frame bikes, you can even convert the bike to a trike. I have built a trike from an add on kit from them and it is superb. Advice get a big texas saddle seat. (smile) Oh another thing, for long trips use a 4 stroke motor. 2 strokes just don't have the muscle to make long trip,. cross country a 2 stroke would probably never make it.

Oh another thing, for long trips use a 4 stroke motor. 2 strokes just don't have the muscle to make long trip,. cross country a 2 stroke would probably never make it.

Well, anyone that has owned a Tanaka would go heads up on that. The Tanaka's are really industrial motors and can produce over 2.0 horsepower from 40 cc's and close to 3 hp with a 47cc. If you doubt this, PM augi or any of the GEBE 2 stroke guys and gals here. BTW the more the Tanaka's are used the faster they go.:helmet:

Back