Which bike should the seller build for me?

5-7HEAVEN

:cool: howziit guys,

i called a seller on CRAIGSLIST who had 2 mountain bikes for sale. coincidentally, he owned a rental unit in my townhouse complex, AND lived 2 minutes away...a stone's throw from where my electric cruiser's coaster brake jammed on my hairy downhill ride!

took my 80cc engine with me, to trial-fit the bikes' frames. both didn't fit the engine. the guy had TONS of used bikes in pieces. two of 12 frames fit well, a DIAMONDBACK and MONGOOSE TIRAGE.
for $60, complete with suspension fork, which one should the seller build for me?

thanks,
Myron

Back in the day I raced bmx a little and I always had Diamondbacks. My oldest son races a Diamond back and has jumped it a ton of times and the frames hold up really good. My 9 year old son has a mongoose mountain bike. He rides the crap out of that thing. When I checked out the frame it had really nice welds. I think you'd be good to go with either. Both manufactures have been around for years and their stuff has held up over the test of time. As a matter of fact my older brother dug up one of our old Diamond backs from the early eighties at my dads house, zip stripped the frame, had it re-painted and gave to one of his daughters that races 50cc dirtbikes all over the country. She loves it as a dirt bike and if you didn't know it was almost 30 years old you'd never know it.

Ivan

i owned a '92 diamondback "outlook"...a large-frame men's MTB. if i owned it today i'd put a "happy time" on it in a flash 8)

:D Thanks for responding, augi and ivan.

the Mongoose's bottom tube is oval-shaped,so the engine would need a special mount. the Diamondback's tubes are round, actually smaller in diameter than the engine mounts.

the Diamondback's top tube is dented in 2 places. the seller said that the frame is still straight and would not be a problem. he'd bondo and paint over the dents.

i don't mind driving a beater. it reminds me of my hotrod days, when looks meant nothing and power and engine sounds were everything.

or should i just buy a $180 SCHWINN SKYLINER comfort bike from WALMART? it has front shock, dual v-brakes, 21-speeds. i'm pretty sure i could carefully trial-fit the engine, and return the bike if it didn't fit.

i need to call the guy this afternoon, to let him know my choice.

what too buy

The new bike sounds like it may save you some elbow grease. I guess it depends on if you plan on doing any mods later on. If I knew I was gonna change the new bikes rims, bars, crank set, ect I'd probobly get the diamond back and piece it together how I want it

good luck

8) thanks for input, guys.

i changed my mind. :eek:

i'll be modifying my electric girlie cruiser to accept a chinese engine...or find a men's SCHWINN or RALEIGH aluminum frame and transfer all my stuff onto it.

i appreciated your responses, and will cancel my order from the craigslist seller.

Myron

Back