Which electric hub motor can be mounted on the rear wheel?

R

Red

I need a hub motor mounted on the rear wheel. I've seen a few on the net is this something thats easy to do?

Which one would be suited best for me I'm 6ft 200 pounds.

I wont be disappointed if I cant hit 20 mph.
The bike will be used for the occasional trip to the store but mostly bike paths to help me get to different fishing spots that are to far for me to walk to from the parking lot. So I would need to be able to get 10 miles tops per charge. Thanks for the help.

Red,

There are some amazing speeds and distances in this topic.

Pick a couple of the best posts, and chime right underneath with questions, I think the whole budget differences is the type of battery... but it sounds like some of these would whup me in a drag race.

The Canadians have some keen insights.

Although Wilderness Energy makes some quality kits, I don't think they make a rear wheel mount kit. In fact, I can't think of any companies that make rear hub motors other than Crystalyte.

A good option would be a Crystalyte 408 motor. Complete kit: http://www.poweridestore.com/Hub-Mo...odel-408-Rear-Single-Speed-500W-Hub-Motor-Kit

This kit should have reasonably good torque for hills, and will have no problem pulling you around at 20mph on 36V, or 26mph on 48V.

As far as how easy it is... well, I personally find the whole gear/cassette thing to be pretty confusing, so whenever I do any work with a rear wheel, I end up taking it to my local cheap bike shop for their expertise. Front wheel is no problem for me, but rear wheel... for that I pay someone. But that's me. If you have the right tools, it shouldn't be too bad I'd think.

I used power ride store as an example of compatible gear - they seem like a good place, although I've never bought from them. Jerry's other links should have similar kits.

Another place to shop is:
http://www.jvbike.com/crystalyte.htm

A rule of thumb for e-bikes is that it's very approximately 1Ah per mile without pedalling. So if you want 10 miles, you'd need at least a 10Ah. I'd recommend a 12Ah battery. Lead-acid (SLA) is a good battery to start with, but the bike will feel heavy with them. Better/lighter batteries are expensive though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back