Which gauge spoke to use

I’m sorry I forgot to mention that I’m going with a sbp jack shaft system. I’m just waiting on gasbike to reply to me and provide me the measurements on the bike frame I need to place the order on sbp website. The bike came with a cnc hub adapter. I learned though that cnc hub adapter is a bad idea to buy. From my experience so far with wondering why the coaster brake arm was twisted bent when I got the bike. Then going threw three coaster brake arms myself just trying to correctly bend a replacement. Only to have it fail on me the same way it did on the previous owner. I’d say to anyone wanting anything better than a rag joint to skip the cnc abapter and go with a jackshaft system. Back to the spokes though. Shimano must feel like 13 gauge spoke are enough to support an electric bike with at least a 200lb person on it. I say that because before I purchased my hubs I called Shimano and asked questions about what hubs they had available and which would best suit my application. They said both of those hubs were designed for heavy duty use and or strengthened to support the “stress” of the extra weight of an electric cycle. I’ll most likely use 13 gauge spokes I would rather of course use 12 gauge but not unless It’s clear to me that punching out the hub to fit a larger spoke is not that big of a deal. Lol

I’m sorry I forgot to mention that I’m going with a sbp jack shaft system. I’m just waiting on gasbike to reply to me and provide me the measurements on the bike frame I need to place the order on sbp website. The bike came with a cnc hub adapter. I learned though that cnc hub adapter is a bad idea to buy. From my experience so far with wondering why the coaster brake arm was twisted bent when I got the bike. Then going threw three coaster brake arms myself just trying to correctly bend a replacement. Only to have it fail on me the same way it did on the previous owner. I’d say to anyone wanting anything better than a rag joint to skip the cnc abapter and go with a jackshaft system. Back to the spokes though. Shimano must feel like 13 gauge spoke are enough to support an electric bike with at least a 200lb person on it. I say that because before I purchased my hubs I called Shimano and asked questions about what hubs they had available and which would best suit my application. They said both of those hubs were designed for heavy duty use and or strengthened to support the “stress” of the extra weight of an electric cycle. I’ll most likely use 13 gauge spokes I would rather of course use 12 gauge but not unless It’s clear to me that punching out the hub to fit a larger spoke is not that big of a deal. Lol
It's not a big deal, it's like reaming any metal object, you just press a big thing into a smaller hole and stretch it out. It's not dirty or complicated like sex it's actually much easier.

Just use the 13, it's more than good enough for a jackshaft, it also reduces chance of harm to your hub. Good luck.

Thanks for the help. My local shop actually does it for $60 a wheel including spokes. That’s good. I’m going to get black spoke and nipples If I can.

Attachments

• 3633158E-767A-4FA4-801E-3829722DA787.jpeg
    3633158E-767A-4FA4-801E-3829722DA787.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 316
  • 34B0EAB7-FDBA-4C4D-BF24-8E65D0655DD6.jpeg
    34B0EAB7-FDBA-4C4D-BF24-8E65D0655DD6.jpeg
    83.3 KB · Views: 338
So it’s going to be $155 including spokes. We talked and we agreed to to use 14 gauge spokes for the following reasons. More readily available. Lighter. Will break before the rims does. And I’ve heard elsewhere that with thinner spokes comes a less stiff ride

So it’s going to be $155 including spokes. We talked and we agreed to to use 14 gauge spokes for the following reasons. More readily available. Lighter. Will break before the rims does. And I’ve heard elsewhere that with thinner spokes comes a less stiff ride
Not the worst price but I guess it will get you there, nothing wrong with supporting your lbs (local bike shop.)

I think that’s just about the norm. A shop in Huntington Beach CA quoted me at $65 another shop a couple city’s over said $55. My lbs less than a mile away offered to do it for $60 a wheel plus the price of spokes. So it’s like they’re charging me $35 for spokes which is pretty good considering what I’ve seen online this past week. They’re spoke supplier didn’t want to warranty the spokes unless I stayed with the 12g. My lbs owner called me and let me know what they said Before starting but we both are in agreement that 14g is going to be the best solutions. Especially when it comes to replacing them. He said I’m going to also save about 4oz a wheel and i get to get black nipples and spokes

I got my wheels back. I wanted black spokes and nipples but only got black spokes. I haven’t bought the shifter or cog for the Alfine yet but I will hopefully today. I got these disc online. I forgot where for $40 180 and 160mm

Attachments

• 8393EB6A-0A68-4285-9540-485F77681B0B.jpeg
    8393EB6A-0A68-4285-9540-485F77681B0B.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 328
  • 0412F814-3674-4921-BD9C-1627A13F41A0.jpeg
    0412F814-3674-4921-BD9C-1627A13F41A0.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 304
I got my wheels back. I wanted black spokes and nipples but only got black spokes. I haven’t bought the shifter or cog for the Alfine yet but I will hopefully today. I got these disc online. I forgot where for $40 180 and 160mm
Nice rotors. Shimano Icetech, steel/alu/steel sandwich.
"mmm sandwich" :p

Back