Which Internal 3-speed hub to use with GT2A Frame?

G

GGH

Hello. I'm new here ( Name is Greg). I want to buy a GT2A frame from Bikeengines.com. for a build using a shift kit and 3-spd internal hub gearing. The frames come in 135 and 150mm width between the dropouts. It would be nice to have the extra width in order to fit a wider tire, but I'm not finding any hubs that are 150mm wide at the nuts. I've seen some units that are 130-135mm which would be fine with the narrower frame and one unit that is 170mm (I think that one is for fat tire bikes). That hub is obviously going to be too wide for even the wider frame option. Does anyone know of a good sturdy 3-spd hub close to 150mm width? Bending the stays out to accommodate the 170mm hub seems like a bad idea to me. Your thoughts?

The larger spacing is for moped or small motorcycle hubs with drum brakes. I like the Sturmey 3 spd but You need to let off and the shift. I read that the shimano will let you shift under a small load..Either way when I had my shift kit I always let off .Otherwise you can do some damage fast! Good luck and make sure you figure out what brakes your going with.

Thanks for the response. I'm thinking disk brakes on the front and probably on the rear too, but Sturmey does make a combo hub with 3 or 5 speeds and a drum brake that's pretty neat. The other option is to scrap the hub gearing idea and go with a rear disk brake wheel with a cluster and derailleur on the right. That would be cheaper as I have a couple bikes in the garage I could scavenge those parts off of. You say "when I had my shift kit..." Just curious why you no longer run a shift kit? More trouble than it's worth?

Yep a derailleur is going to out last a internal hub. Just make the chain tight as possible. It is ok for the bottom of derailleur to be pulled towards pedal cranks.

Hello. I'm new here ( Name is Greg). I want to buy a GT2A frame from Bikeengines.com. for a build using a shift kit and 3-spd internal hub gearing. The frames come in 135 and 150mm width between the dropouts. It would be nice to have the extra width in order to fit a wider tire, but I'm not finding any hubs that are 150mm wide at the nuts. I've seen some units that are 130-135mm which would be fine with the narrower frame and one unit that is 170mm (I think that one is for fat tire bikes). That hub is obviously going to be too wide for even the wider frame option. Does anyone know of a good sturdy 3-spd hub close to 150mm width? Bending the stays out to accommodate the 170mm hub seems like a bad idea to me. Your thoughts?
Bicycle-engines has the new real Skyhawk GT2 frames we redesigned last year that accommodate fatter tires and a rear disc brake.

What engine and shifting drive train are looking at?
I find the SA 5-speed disc hub to work well on the 150 frame.

RedGT2done2R.jpg

RedGT2done2L.jpg

Hope that helps.

@KC, I was going to get a 4G kit and frame from the same vendor you mentioned. It looks like the same kit you used on your red build pictured (a very sharp looking bike too btw). What was the model # SA hub you used? I've read through a few of your build threads and your solution to bringing the power over to the right side seems to me to be a better, simpler method than the jackshaft kit. When are you going to start offering the long shaft adapters for purchase? I'd buy one.

Back