Which internal hub to buy? ( Single, 3 or 7 speed.)

D

DouglasRacer

Plan to purchase a Worksman Cruiser soon and mount a
GEBE R/S35 on it.
Need your advise on which hub to get.(single,3 or 7 speed)

As a kid I had a number of paper routes and used a
single speed cruiser. (Thats all there was back then)-
carried heavy loads OK.Later moved up to a Cushman
scooter and my best pal had a Whizzer.

The area we live in is fairly flat but travel sometimes takes us to hilly spots.

Guess what I am asking is what your experience with
thse hubs has been.

Are you buying the Worksman new? I did think about that myself.

If so, get the alloy wheels with stainless spokes, then talk to Dennis at GEBE about modding the sheave to fit those monster spokes. They might be larger than the largest GEBE uses. GEBE=.105" dia. or 12g and Works= .1196" or 11g. Better check on that detail. God and the debbil are in the details. :) Check on this first.

I would get the 3 speed, the 7 is far too costly for what little use it will get.
Get the front brake. You could go single speed and get the rear drum brake too. AND the springer front end. Yeah baby! Now we are talkin'.
Then buy an 11 tooth drive gear for insane hills. It comes with a 12. Mine will be here Friday but I must buy spokes and do some lacing before the install.

EDIT: Contact Worksman. The stainless spokes might be 12 or 13g.
Go single speed with the rear brake option. Then if you want the lower gearing, use a 36t chain ring instead of the 44t.

If you mainly expect to use the bike with engine power, then I'd say get the 3-speed. If you think that you might want to disengage the belt and actually pedal this bicycle, then you may want to get the 7-speed.

From what limited riding experience I have gotten so far, you don't need to pedal much on flat terrain:
http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dci...cumbent/moto_bike_page/motorized_bicycle.html

I have ordered a Worksman too, should be here any day now (should have been here June 4, matter of factly....). I picked a 3-speed. This bike is intended for the engine, and I'll only ride it under engine power, so I'd never use six of those seven speeds. ...When I ordered my Worksman, the website gave a delivery date 30-35 days out but people online said that if the item is in stock, dealers can often get them as fast as normal shipping will carry them. I don't know if that includes painting custom colors and so on, but I didn't even know Worksman had dealers. I don't expect I'd be getting it any cheaper, but it'd be nice to get it faster....

This page explains some matters about the geared hubs, like drive ratios and whatnot:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/internal-gears.html

I also like the idea of a (unmotorized!) utility bike, and will likely order another Worksman for that as well. For that bike, I'll get the 7-speed.
~

DougC said:
If you mainly expect to use the bike with engine power, then I'd say get the 3-speed. If you think that you might want to disengage the belt and actually pedal this bicycle, then you may want to get the 7-speed.

From what limited riding experience I have gotten so far, you don't need to pedal much on flat terrain:
http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dci...cumbent/moto_bike_page/motorized_bicycle.html

Yes indeed the three speed is the best of both worlds. Real pedal power if the belt goes but much less expensive than the seven speed.

I did read the above link in total. He is a cyclist learning about lowpowered motorcycle riding for the first time.

Any real motorcyclist will tell you that you need foot pegs under your butt inorder to stand up a bit in rough terrain. Even hard core feet forward biker types that ride to Sturgis rather than trailer their bikes have aux pegs below the center of gravity. This is just m/c common sense.

I will be posting pics as my build progesses...once all the parts get here...including wheel lacing, t'is fun but tedious.

Pic of 26x2.00 Big Apple tires I'll use on a MTB HT. They will clear the 60mm wide Freddy Fenders by 1/4" on each side.

1633_bigapple_1.gif

The BOB Yak trailer comes with a Big Apple tire to smooth out the ride. :cool: I want one.

1633_BOBYak_1.jpg

This tire tech section is worth the read, even if you use a different brand. http://schwalbetires.com/tech_info

I just got all 5 of the Marathon Plus HS 348 that I ordered These tires Rock! well worth the money paid :D :D

I have received the Worksman bike I ordered with the 3-speed, and it appears that the 3-speed axle is just barely going to be long enough--and I may have to modify the engine mount. Getting a longer axle for a multi-speed is not a simple matter.

For that reason I'd suggest going with the single-speeds instead. It's easy to get a long-enough axle for them.
~

I prefer the 7 speed. I have a couple of bikes with 7 and a couple with 3 speeds. The seven is just so much more versitile than the others. I think the coaster brake is much stronger than the Roller brake on the Nexus hub. I also have a 4 speed hub also but have yet to lace it into a rim and test it.

Dan

iRide Customs said:
I prefer the 7 speed. I have a couple of bikes with 7 and a couple with 3 speeds. The seven is just so much more versitile than the others. ...
For non-motorized riding the 7 is nicer, but for a rack-mount engine like the Golden Eagle, are the axles long enough for the engine mount to fit under the axle nuts?
~

How thick are your axle engine mounts? If you would like a picture of one of the 7 speeds I have I can take one for you.

Dan

Back