Which is better belt or chain drive.

TIdeaShop@aol.com

Local time
3:42 AM
I am in the planning stage I need a LWB Recumbent with power assist, only when I need it.
Is it better to have a long belt powering the rear wheel like to old MoPed bicycles, or a chain drive through 2 sets of reduction gears to get the right speed?
Has any one tried it both ways?
Terry

Attachments

• My-recumbent.jpg
    My-recumbent.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 321
That is a never ending battle with no straight answer it's all about preference.
From what I've been hearing though is that belt drive is smoother as far as power transition but a broken chain on a chain drive can be easily fixed on the side of the road.
You can carry a spare belt in your tool box to defeat that so again it's preference with no straight answer.

LF is right, preference. The belt is quieter, and easier on drivetrain, but has a tendency to slip and wear out after a lot of miles, but other than that it's fine.

A chain is better for power, but is louder, and everything has to be aligned almost perfectly.

It's up to you, best in your decision.

LF is right, preference. The belt is quieter, and easier on drivetrain, but has a tendency to slip and wear out after a lot of miles, but other than that it's fine.

A chain is better for power, but is louder, and everything has to be aligned almost perfectly.

I have a staton chain drive, I run it to deah, can"t kill it. I also have a GEBE, which is gathering dust. I kept it for a spare, but my staton refuses to break down, LOL, If you are a serious commuter, Staton is the best way to go. The sprocket mounts on the hub and there is no stress on the spokes as with a drive ring or even a happy time spoke mounted sprocket. The chain was a bit loud, but only until it broke in, now it's pretty quiet.
You'll notice in other threads that others have gone to chain drive after having issues with belts.

I have a staton chain drive, I run it to deah, can"t kill it. I also have a GEBE, which is gathering dust. I kept it for a spare, but my staton refuses to break down, LOL, If you are a serious commuter, Staton is the best way to go. The sprocket mounts on the hub and there is no stress on the spokes as with a drive ring or even a happy time spoke mounted sprocket. The chain was a bit loud, but only until it broke in, now it's pretty quiet.
You'll notice in other threads that others have gone to chain drive after having issues with belts.

Can a GEBE type sprocket mounted on recumbent bike with the smaller wheels ?,you need a reduction in the 10-20 range,depending on engine size.The Staton gearbox has 18.75 reduction and drives a freewheel on the left side of the hub with a chain.Different sprockets are available.It makes some noise but the engine is a lot louder,esp 2 strokes.The Staton set up is on the heavy side but quite durable and more hassle free and it does not abuse the spokes,you would need heavy duty ones anyway,otherwise they are prone to fatigue-break over time.

Back