Which is better - to construct or buy whole bike with engine?

Thanks a lot for your support, folks. I've kind of narrowed down on getting this Wildfire Bicycle with 49cc engine built on (just got on auction for $400, not bad). It has a lot of important accessories such as lights, disc brake, splash guards, good kick stand, horn, etc. Engine is a bit slow but I think I have to watch my step with the state troopers in MA. I figure if engine doesn't work out, I can also repace with 80 cc in the future.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...o=CRX&its=S%2BI%2BSS&itu=ISS%2BUCI%2BSI&otn=4

I'd be curious if anyone has any direct experience with this company.

Thanks,
John

That bike looks very nice for $400. I especially like the fact it also has a rear drop stand. I've never dealt with that company, but I just might contact them about hopefully getting one of their drop stands for one of my builds. The bike I want it for is a '46 Columbia that has a GruBee 48cc engine on it, and you'd be surprised how much grunt that little engine has. It hauls my fat butt around nicely, and can reach 30mph with the 50-tooth rear sprocket. So don't discount what that little engine can do, unless you have a lot of hills.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
So, say you pay $400 for the bike, he still charges $150 to ship to you if you only have a residential address ($130 if shipped to a business).

If you want a Chinese engine, just get a kit and do it yourself on a current bike or any bike you'd like.

Or get a GEBE or Staton kit.

Have to agree with Esteban here --- Japanese engines are guaranteed to bring many miles and years of PURE ENJOYMENT... Have owned a lot of Japanese motor cycles over the past 45 years -- never wore one out !!! Not saying that it can't be done -- but -- they just seem to last forever -- if treated in a fair manner... So now -- somewhat new to MB's -- I have recently installed a Robin Subaru 35cc on my mountain bike --- that little motor IS A BLAST !!! Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Last edited:
That bike sure is pretty...and for $400 the price is right...BUT....add on another $150 for shipping...then realize that when you get it, you're going to need to re-prep it because I wouldn't trust a mass-assembled "anything" from China that can take my life if something was not done correctly. This means removing every screw and bolt and putting blue Loctite on it, or else it will vibrate apart while riding. Additionally, my Kulana, which is also made in the same non-Quality Control country, the bearings in the wheels were just about dry...

In the end, John, one way or another, you're going to build this bike yourself. There's really not a lot you can mess up, either...and we're all here to help. That same $600 will get you a nice bike, same motor (go with the 67cc - touted as 80cc), and better accessories.

Either way, make sure you have (minimum tool list):
Socket wrench with 10mm socket
10mm open and closed end wrench
15mm open and closed end wrench
17mm open and closed end wrench
big Phillips screwdriver
needle nose pliers
wire cutters

THAT'S IT - that's all you need to build and/or prep!

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

Where did you get it?

I'm assuming there's always going to be problems, a good reason to tighten up everything once it's out of box. You sound like you went through quite a bit.

I imagine I may wind up putting on gear sprockets. One thing I wonder is if there are bigger gas tanks than just half gallon. Can you get a whole gallon?

I may be wrong but these engines look so simple, I don't necessarily have to get parts (such as carburetor or clutch cable) from the company that made that particular engine. I note parts are a lot less than motorcycle components.

Where did you get that bike? One odd thing about this forum is there is a section for Vendor Reviews - but no one has put anything there. It might be good to do that so people can pass on their experiences.

Also, has anyone bought a bike from some place on Ebay (in Fla) called "Wonderful Creations". They have some nice looking preassembled MBs. Curious.

Thanks,
John

Hi John,
First, it takes SO LONG to eat up a half gallon tank - your butt will be sore, and your hands and teeth will be well-vibrated way before you put on 50 miles in a single session, I think.
Second, doubling the size of the tank just adds that much more weight up and over the center of gravity, and imho, you don't need that much fuel on a bicycle or the extra weight in the wrong places.

There's a bunch of great bikes at both Walmart and Target. I paid $99 for my Kulana at Walmart. Target sells the Schwinn Jaguar for about $150, I think. There's plenty of others in between. When you're shopping, I think the most important thing to look for are wobbly wheels. Everything else are pretty easy adjustments.

Hi folks, I really appreciate your support! I'm going through with this and having it sent to a local moped shop and having dealer look everything over before I take it on road. I'm really not very good with machinery, so I think it's going to be safer to have something assembled by someone who knows what they're doing. (I tend to make things worse when I try to do it myself.)

It should be interesting. I mainly plan to use this for trips 20-30 miles out of town - and use motorcycle for longer trips. Then I'll use regular bike just in town and within 10 miles.

John

Just on the build it or buy it question...

Personally I would, with commercial engine kits, say build it every time. There is nothing like the joy of buzzing around on something you have slaved over yourself and that you can be proud of.

However - with the chengines - im less sure. Personally I would go for a built bike with parts guarantee etc but only if that manufacturer bench tested and ran in the engines beforehand etc - i.e. a professional outfit.

If I had money to throw away I wouldnt be so bothered but right now I am at the stage where I am finding it hard to afford fuel to run the bike :(

Jemma xx

That's just it. I don't have a whole lot of spare cash; otherwise I'd buy the high quality. I'm doing this with my tax refund money to have back-up transportaton.

If I were in England, I'd get a Honda 125 - they won't import them to US.

Back