Which rim is the strongest?

Tyler6357

Local time
9:00 AM
I'm thinking of upgrading my rear rim to a double walled rim. I currently have a single walled rim that is 26 x 1.5" wide, 36 hole. I have a doubled walled rim that is 26" x 1" wide, 36 hole that I want to replace it with. I am using Schwalbe wire tires that are 26" x 2.15" wide. Is the narrower 1" rim okay to use with a 2.15" wide tire? If so, will the narrower double walled rim give me more strength than the wider single walled rim? Which would be strongest for leaning into turns??

Last edited:
Although all single wall rims and all double wall rims are not created equal, the rule of thumb is that indeed the double wall rims are stronger than the single wall.
Rim width should be measured by the gap between the sides, not externally. Your 22mm rim should work fine with the 54mm tyre, with only a slight risk of the tyre rolling off the rim if/when you get a sudden/fast puncture or if running abnormally low pressures. That slight risk is reduced by the stiff wire bead and stiff wall of the Schwalbe tyres. :)
The (very) conservative rule of thumb from road cycling is that a rim will suit a tyre of 1.4 to 2.0 times it's width, but especially in larger sizes like mountain bike tyres that conservative limit can easily be taken as 1.4 to 2.5 times.
"Conservative" means that the tyre will not roll off the rim if you get a puncture, or slip off at the bead during a turn, will not pinch flat easily or risk bashing the rim on stones, and will have the proper cross sectional shape intended by the manufacturer. "Limit" does not mean you have to stay within those "limits", just that you should think about whether you have any special reason for going outside them, and don't combine outlandish sizing with outlandish pressures.
In short, a 1.6" to 1.85" tyre would be a great match for your new rim, but your 2.15" shouldn't be a problem at conservative tyre pressures. :)

Last edited:
The SAS Halo downhilling rim can be gotten online for about $70 shipping included. 26” or 24”. Perfect for motorization. You only need to buy 1.

Next Best Buy is a good carb. After that, get the HD Lightning CDI.

These additions keep a lot of problems away.

The SAS Halo downhilling rim can be gotten online for about $70 shipping included. 26” or 24”. Perfect for motorization. You only need to buy 1.

Next Best Buy is a good carb. After that, get the HD Lightning CDI.

These additions keep a lot of problems away.
I think they're only making the SAS rims in 26" and 27.5" now so it might be time to stock up on the 24" version for future builds. :eek:

The Halo SAS rim is 36mm wide, 30mm for the purposes of tyre sizing as it has very heavy construction. It has stainless steel double eyelets so it can support extremely high spoke tension. It is extremely strong. :)
Touring-Rim-Cross-Sections.jpg

Tried double wall rims nothing but the same s**t if you want good rims go magnums they are tuff a bullet or land mind would have a tuff time knocking one out cost about $175.00 for a pair but they are worth it no spokes no trueing. Heavey duty.

Tried double wall rims nothing but the same sh*t if you want good rims go magnums they are tuff a bullet or land mind would have a tuff time knocking one out cost about $175.00 for a pair but they are worth it no spokes no trueing. Heavey duty.

This is actually an old thread. I ended up going with Mag wheels and so far they seem to be performing well. I did another thread about it here----> https://motoredbikes.com/threads/mag-wheels.53544/

I read and read before getting a back hoop and the Halo won out for cost vs. performance and as many reviews as youd wanna read everywhere. I think I paid $74 shipped for a 27.5"
untitled.jpg

Back